70 Beetle oil filter questions

Finally got around to changing the oil in my 70 Beetle, 1600cc. The new screen I had would not press on to the pickup as the fitting was too small. Do I have the wrong filter or is there some modification that may have been done, i.e. different pickup, pump or something that could be the problem. Also one of the stud/nuts that attach the filter cover plate to the engine is starting to strip in the engine. Are there official repair parts for such a problem? (the stud's OK, the problem is on the engine) Thanks in advance for a reply.

Reply to
JeffRens

...yes there are several different screens dependant on th year of the case. Look up the year of your engine case, and get the screen that corresponds to it. As for the case stud, you can either put a threaded insert in to the case. Which involves drilling thee case and tapping to the correcvt thread sized for the outer threads of the insert...than using the special tool to install trhe insert according to the manufacturers directions (viries slightly on differing thread systems). At that point you will be able to thread teh original thread back into place. Or anouther option is a step stud...this is a stud with two differing sized threads on it. You simply drill and tap to the larger size and thread the stud in with some medium strength loctite...allow to dry and re-assemble. The part protruding will be the same size stud as original. Whatever method of repair you use, be very cautious you do not overtorque these studsd...as this is what generally causes the condition inthe first place. Tightening more than the required torque will not stop a leak. Finding out *why* a leak is occurring and rectifying the problem is a far better course of action. Usually a leak is caused by a deformed cover plat....which, again, is caused by over torquing the nuts.

HTH

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

it will a little force to put on a new screen if you look at the center you will see the splits that will spread apart.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Before doing a bigger job, you might try wrapping the screw with teflon tape and see if that makes a secure enough hold.

Reply to
cprince

...................I'll bet that Bob Hoover starts getting chest pain when he reads this.

Reply to
Tim Rogers