71 beetle front end problem

The front driver's side of my '71 standard beetle sits 1 1/2" lower than the passenger side, and if i push down on the bumper, there is virtually no "spring action" on the drivers side, the passenger side does spring back when I push it down. The PO had the front beam replaced, and the shocks were new at the time.

How would I troubleshoot this? Could the front torsion bars have been installed incorrectly? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Kayer

Reply to
MK

Find a diagram of the front axel - the "springs" are strips of steel that go from one side to the other. It acts like a torsion bar - the twist gives the spring. The center has big hex bolts that holds them in place and the arm on each side is square to mesh with the metal bars. It is possible some of the metal bars broke on one side or the arm is not meshing with the springs. On the bad side I'd first check the shock. Then remove the nuts on the ball joints on the bad side and see if one flops easily up and down. If it does thats where the problem is. Remove the hex bolts from that arm and remove it. Do some one the spring broken pieces pull out? The should go from side to side so are maybe 4' long. If broken strip the other side and remove the center hex bolt and slide the leaves out and replace them. You should be able to find them locally used - I have several sets in attic from rusted out beams. Once replaced give the beam a good shot of grease.

Reply to
Wolfgang

sounds like somethings either broken or bent or siezed. How does it drive? First and easiest thing to remove would be the shock and maybe see how movement is.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Hi I had this on my 73. I had a difference of 3/4".

It turned out to be the REAR torsion bar settings on the same side.

It is related to the weight distribution over four sprung wheels and if the rear wheel is not providing the needed support more load is passed to the front.

In my case the adjustment was done by trial and error.

Ian M

Reply to
strobe