71 Front end, part 2

Thanks to all that replied to my post re: drivers side sitting 1 1/2" lower than passenger side. Upon removing both shocks, the drivers side is now only off by about 1/4". Both sides seem to spring back o.k., the drivers side is a little tighter than the passenger side, but not much. Looks like one of the "new" shocks is already shot after less than 1000 miles. I think I'll replace them with something other than Cofap's. KYB's?

Problem: When I removed the nut off the drivers side lower torsion arm, it sheared off. Is replacing the torsion arm relatively simple? I have the Haynes book, but they always seem to add several unnecessary steps to every replacement procedure. Now to find a torsion arm...

Mike Kayer

71 Beetle, 80 Vanagon Westfalia, 94 Jetta
Reply to
MK

Those shock mount studs are replaceable. It is not fun. Colin

Reply to
Colin

Its not too bad, since the arm is bad now, you can use a pickle fork without worry of trashing the ball joint so you can get "Medieval" on it!

You can just simply remove the bottom arm from the spindle and then take the grub screw out of the arm and pull it out. I say "simply" but it will fight you all the way and of course the forces of torsion packs and little movement of the ball joints won't help. But I have done it before with the help of a jack on the drum and alot of bitching :)

Kinda good in a way that its the drivers side, It gives you a change to futher investigate that side (it being the one that was lower and still a little tighter). Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

He's not asking about a ball joint.

-

Jim Adney

But he is asking about removeing the lower torsion arm from the beam to replace due to a broken shock mount stud. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro