71 ghia 1600dualport questions re motor & pan/clutch

do ALL 71 Ghia's have the clutch tube "already IN" the pan? mine's an autostick, and I'm thinking about converting...to 4 speed

anybody know the angle in degrees that the sparkplug HOLE is to the 'big flat' part of the cylider head is? (gotta drill it for an insert, gonna use my tilt table drillpress)

anybody care to suggest the drill bit size to use to 'drill out' the old 'boogered up' sparkplug threads before running the "reamertap" into the head? I do understand that "in theory" the reamertap is "supposed to" cut its' own hole, but I'd prefer to not have to push so hard on the tap ... my 'reamertap' in empi #00-5716-0, if that helps any...

thanks :-)

Reply to
bill yohler

Can't say for sure. '68 thru '70 Type 1 did not have it. The factory thought it was this huge cost saving to leave it out. Till they found out the nightmare it created on the production line to match pans up with cars destined to not have 4-speed. Get underneath and you'll easily see the tube if it's there, coming out of the tunnel fork.

DO read Matt Claydon's superb article on conversion:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim