'74 Std. Blue & New

Hello!

I've been hanging around here off and on for a looong time, but I finally have a VW of my very own that I could use some advice with. Last week I spotted a cute blue Beetle on the side of the road for sale. When I stopped and looked at it I thought it might have been Mexican, as the engine and windshield said "Hencho en Mexico," it had a dealer-style add-on A/C, and the for sale sign said '74 but the body looked older. Guy wanted $2500. When I went to look at it, the interior was in good shape with nice seats, nice AIWA headunit w/ Pioneer 6x9's, fiberglass dash. The body has '65 fenders, a Cal-style smooth job including front hood handle and trim & all chrome plus window vents and bumpers, frenched tail lights and license plate, roof rack, aluminum 8-spoke wheels, and a horrifying nightmare of a butchered wiring harness. Painted a nice dark blue over the original powder blue. Engine is a Mexican replacement installed by a country VW shop a few years back. 1600 dual port, 34-PICT3 carb, 009 distributor, all tin and seals in place. The AC compressor isn't lined up right with the crank and doesn't have a belt, also it sticks out too far and the lid won't close right.

No real problems with it through. Been driving it around for a couple days and its fun to drive. Kind of hard to start especially when hot. Got the 009 flat spot. Going to tune up the carburator and check the ignition. One tire has a slow leak. Radio works well. Did I mention fun to drive? Never driven an aircooled VW before but this one is not a dissapointment. It's slow, but not painfully slow and will keep up with traffic (65-70 no prob, 75-80 kinda hairy). The body and paint are kind of rough but virtually rust free. Floor pans and heater channels are perfect. Lots of bondo with the smooth job though and it's all cracking. Passenger door has a big dent and a small rust spot (only rust on the car). Paint on roof, hood, fenders has faded and started to flake.

I plan on eventually trying an amateur paint job on it, as a learning exercise. Don't want to spend too much on the engine as my roommate has a '76 van w/ 914 engine that I plan to swap in eventually. It needs to be completely rewired.

Questions:

The front turnsignals don't work so well. I believe they are '65 style, with only the amber bulb inside the headlight lense. Left one doesn't blink. Looked inside and the bulbs are soldered in. That's not normal is it?

The car can't be started with the key. Someone rigged up a push-button starter dangling out from beneath the backseat. The car starts okay with that. You can crank it with the key but it never catches. Bad ignition switch?

How did I do? I live in south Mississippi and VW's are still fairly common. I gave the guy $2250, and feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Thanks guys!

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Welcome aboard! Anything with *no* rust is worth $2500 in my book, running or not. :-)

The tiny lamp inside the headlamp housing was for a parking light. (no, not soldered...) The parking light bulb doesn't draw enough to trigger the flasher properly. That might be part of the problem.

Yes, sounds like bad ignition switch. Often the Coil circuit gets broken when the key is turned to START. That may be why the rigging in back. Replacing the switch is not a trivial job.

See my web site for electrical help: Speedy Jim

and the RAMVA problem solver:

and Rob and Dave's indexed help site:

and Dragenwagen's pages:
and Vic's helpful site:

apologies for anyone I missed...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Here's the thing.. You paid alot of money. Not saying it is not worth it.. It can be worth much more easily. As he says anything without rust is worth $2500. I agree. I paid $2800 for my rust free 60. One thing you may not know, being it is your first.. is to be sure their is no rust in the door pillars or the heater channels. Heater channels can cause much grief to an amateur restoration, or much money for replacement. They go often un-noticed because they reside under the left and right pieces of carpet. The obvious is the underside under the vehicle. I had some before where the door didnt shut right.. I had no diea. I dumpted a ton into the vehicle before I found out. The drivers A pillar was rotted off and I patched it.. Well that was actually a really bad heater channel and my car was sagging. Reason for the door not shutting proper. Before you invest a ton be sure to check these areas thoroughly. You don't want any holes on the underside not in the pans. You can change a pan fairly easy. If your's has patches galore, then I would just enjoy it as is.. and not dump a ton into it. That or focus your funds into replacement before accessorizing or painting. Be sure to check these things out before getting really deep into it. If all else fails, their isn't many bugs around for less than $1k. Not to mention the A/C systems run a pretty penny. I think you did ok on the price, being I paid around the same for mine. I love these, and as I can tell from your esxcitement.. you will too. Be prepared for your signifigant other to claim things like you like the bug more.. etc. I had to propose in mine when I brought it home!!

Harry Smith wrote:

Reply to
payments338

Ah, that explains that. They make great parking lights, but poor turn signals at night. I'm considering adding some LEDs on the mirrors...once the mirriors I ordered come in...

Mmm, that's what I thought. I'll probably just move the button to the dash, paint it red, and call it a day.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

The heater channels and floors are rust free. Definitely a southern car.

What I was looking for was a driver, and the car seems to be that. Plan to keep it stock, just make minor improvements and drive it.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

too late to keep it "stock" since it's been modified before you bought it....just keep it maintained, modify/adapt it to your liking and enjoy it...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani