74 Super Beetle - I'm new and have questions

My wife and I bought this 74 SB in mediocre shape and we're trying to fix it up to a good get around town car. We're fortunate enough to have a good local bug mechanic across the street fom where we live. So far, we rebuilt the front end completely, re-installed the original carbeuration/exhaust, and its all running great so far. I just have a few questions...

It came without bumpers, and I want to put some one. I bought a couple new bumpers in Pomona, but I dont' have the right bumper brackets. Mine are the shock-type and nobody seems to have those laying around, and I don't want to spend a fortune to do it. I was thinking of fabricating my own out of 1/8" steel kind of like the older style, but ones that fit my 74SB. Has anybody else done this before I get started and have advice?

Does anybody make standard steering wheel covers that fit? I tried one from a local store, and it doesn't look like I'll get it on. Am I confined to the steering wheel "wrap"?

I've got more questions... I'll post them as I remember them...

Thanks.. JD

Reply to
jonas_me

You can also check out

for parts.

Reply to
Eddie

I have a '74 SB in the throes of restoration and have the correct shock-type brackets. They're currently off the car, so I can take some pics and give you dimensions. Drop me a line and I'll shoot those pics in a couple of days.

As for steering wheel covers, most new car wheels smaller than the stock VW wheel, so we are stuck with the lace-up style for the most part.

Jim --

Jim O'Malley

Hey Jim, Thanks for that! That might help me a little. I actually found ones that fit the bolt-pattern but must also be the wrong year or I'm installing them wrong. (maybe front on back/back on front?)

Can you tell me at least if the bolt pattern is identical front and back? If it is, I don't think I will need pics or dimensions, I'll just get some 1/8" steel and fabricate my own mount that looks similar to the older-style bugs.

I suppose I can check those mounts I have and see if they fit on the front, but I haven't had time for a little while and haven't got around to it. If they are different, knowing what the front bolt-pattern dimensions are would be helpful. Its kinda hard to get in there.

About the steering wheel covers, thats a bummer. I really wanted to get a nice cover for it. I guess I'll have to be creative with that too! I'll have to break out the sewing machine...

Thanks for the help! Jonas

Jim O'Malley wrote:

Reply to
jonas_me