74 SUPER BEETLE SHAKES AND NEEDS WEATHERSTRIPPING - HELP!!!!

Hello,

just bought a charming vw convertable... very excited about it... I can't seem to know why the steering wheel shakes when I reach 40 mph... it shakes only at 40 mph, not over or below, took the car to a couple of mechanics but no success so far... and I need to know where to take the car to put on the weatherstripping... I am a resident of Inglewood CA... help me fix my car...

lazo

Reply to
Lazo

has a lot of discussion about Super shimmies.

You can join the Forum:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Actually its funny now.... but scary as hell when it first happens. My 68 betle... I was about 17, I think. Driving down the road and all of a sudden the steering wheel starts to shake back and forth violently! Slowed down and it stopped. It was a bad steering damper.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

My 70 standard bug had a shimmy at 40mph,but it was due for new tires and after getting them the shimmy was gone. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

i presume you have had the wheels balenced?

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Hope my mechanic did... I will mention that on the next visit..

thanks Neil

Neil - Usenet wrote:

Reply to
Lazo
Reply to
David Gravereaux

Lazo, one other thing that minimizes SB shakes is tire size. The car is much more susceptible if you're using older, narrower tires. Minimum recommended tire width is 155R15, I prefer 165R15s.

Jim /

(Back up after my webhost disappeared!)

Reply to
VWFilms