'74 Type 2 Bay - Seals around engine compartment

Hello All.

How important are the seals which go around the base of the engine compartment in a type 2 bay?

I'm looking after a camper (for my parents in law) with a newly installed 1641cc engine, and the garage didn't fit any seals around the new engine, so essentially you can see through the gap around the engine through to the road.

I know that other vans have seals around the floor of the engine compartment - should I get these seen to as soon as possible, or is it OK not to have them?

Look forward to your replies.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Jones

.............You need to have those seals installed Ed. In fact, I wouldn't drive it for more than a few blocks until this is taken care of. The hot air that exits the bottom of the engine must be kept from recirculating back up into the engine compartment.

BTW..........don't ever let the shop that did this get near that bus again. They're idiots.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

i'm with Tim on this one 100%....(you may never hear that from me again...LOL)

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for a new garage.

I'm afraid I've already driven it a good deal further than a few blocks (about 150 miles) - *please* tell me that I'm not likely to have broken the new engine! What should I be looking out for - it there anything I can do now to rectify damage that may have happened over the 150 miles I've driven it?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Jones

I guess that if its just the foam seal, then it wont be as bad as missing whole bits on tinwear. how big is the gap ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Oh, it's only the foam seal. The gap's about an inch across all the way around three sides of the engine.

I'm getting the foam seal fitted tomorrow - so hopefully disaster has been averted :-)

RAMVA's great, isn't it? The folks here have all the answers!

Ed

Reply to
Ed Jones

...............I must be doing something wrong...............heh heh

.......It always makes me a little nervous when you or Travis start agreeing with me.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
ilambert

I agree that you should be nervous when that happens. :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

well....it probably should....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm getting the seals fitted today by a (hopefully) more reputable establishment!

I've been reading RAMVA regularly for ages, and it's *so* good to know that there's a repository of knowledge like this.

Hopefully I'll soon learn enough to be able to contribute with answers instead of questions!

Ed

Reply to
Ed Jones

Reply to
griplimit

My wife drove her Ghia around hot Florida for years without any seals and it didn't seem to hurt the engine. I seriously doubt the 150 miles you put on it has hurt anything.

Reply to
GaryH