93 Passat engine computer

I have a 93 4-speed manual 2 litre. It started bucking, and my mechanic thought it was the coolant sensor. He tried a new one, but that did not help. He thinks it's the engine computer. I asked him what else it could be, and he said only the wiring.

The car starts, but dies. I have to crank it in first a few times, then sort of pop the clutch and rev it to get it going. He took the sensor out, and at least the bucking stopped.

Any ideas? Does anyone know of a reliable source for a used or rebuilt EC box?

Engine computer : BOSCH # is 0261200874 VW # is 8A0907404J VIN WVW ZZZ 312 PE 09 1221

Reply to
bluejudy

Computers rarely fail and to just replace it because he can't figure it out is a reflection on your mechanic.

Ask him if he reset the computer after he replaced replace the ECT. I am pretty sure a reset is required to clear the error and have the car run right again.

A good tech should be able to tell why the car runs like crap. Or maybe he just wants you to know you need a new computer and all he'll do is reset the one you have. I'd find a new mechanic.

Also, this is the aircooled forum (we're into bugs, buses, ghias, etc) You might have more success asking this question in the rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled group.

Or better yet, get an old aircooled VW and you won't have to worry about a computer failing. :) You'd be more than welcome to join us.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

You have water in the engine. Trade it in for an air-cooled Volkswagen.

Reply to
Two

Thanks, I shall switch it over to the other forum

Reply to
bluejudy

Thanks, but the car runs fine after I have actually driven it for 1/8 mile, and it does not buck now that the sensor is out.

Reply to
bluejudy

"Two" was joking - our cars are aircooled by having air move around the engine. Your engine is cooled by having coolant in it circulate.

Yes, ask in the other forum. I am sure they'll be able to help you a lot better than we can.

Hope it is a cheap fix - good luck! Remco

Reply to
Remco