A lesson learned

Drive a aircooled VW on a daily basis for long enough and you will continue to discover things that only wizzened old veteran VW mechanics would know. The frotn brakes on my Bug were feeling "mushy." I had full pedal, plenty of stiffness, but still the car would not stop like it used to and it began to pull to the right when braking hard. I adjusted the shoes, but still the problem persisted. So I pulled the left front drum and discovered that the drum and shoes were covered in grease. The only way grease could get in there was from the back of the drum, past guess what? The grease seal that coveres the inner bearing. The seal which I never replace when I repack my bearing. The seal which was banged up and harder than a Dutchman's noggin. Anyway, I picked up some new shoes, degreased the drum and insterted the nice flexible seal I picked up at the FLAPS. Lesson learned, replace or at least check those seals.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

if i ever do a full brake job on a car, i learned long ago to replace just about everything if i am in doubt of the age of the components. just like you learned, it is better to replace that grease seal with a new one while everything is apart and save some time and trouble later.

just my 2 cents worth

Reply to
bob