After 6 years, it lives again!

A few of you old timers here might remember my Baja bug "Frankenstein" (built from the remains of other dead bugs.) Anyway the perpetual project engine is finished, installed and running. I still need to wrap up some details before licensing and insurance but now I need to make it look better. I have about $1500 in the balanced and blueprinted 1.7L engine and while I know I could have built a bigger engine for the money, I was more after a long-life torquer.

Anyway, the old beast looks like crap. It has what's left of the factory 1966 paint on the body, gray primer on the front glass and some odd green on the replacement (any year unknown doors.) I'd like to make it all one color but more important than the shade is I want the paint to be tough. I'm going to be running it down old logging roads in pursuit bambies this fall and I don't want the paint scraping off.

Any suggestions for a tough as nails finish? I'd like to spray it with the stuff used to put a rubberized coating on the inside of pickup beds but I've heard that stuff is outrageously expensive.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Anthony W wrote in news:zpGWf.16777$W75.10869@trnddc07:

Hi Tony. A couple years back I did some research for a friend who wanted to coat his backyard Cee-ment Ponds with bedliner type material. I started with a Google search for bedliners and picked up some other phrases along the way and kept Googling... As I recall, there were a bunch of different options available from a ton of companies into all kinds of specialized coatings. Some were super expensive, some were quite reasonable. Shaggie did his Jeep with a brush-on / roll-on product.

I saw a pickup truck in Warrenton that was completely coated with a royal blue bedliner type material. It looked like the coating was all that was holding the truck together!

BTW - got the title transferred and license on the bus. Still no work done on it though!

Reply to
Busahaulic

Desert camo in honor , it looks like their going to be there for awhile. Its a subject that comes up at the shop,and our thoughts are always about the parted families.

Mario Vintage Werks Resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks, I should have done that already but I also wanted to brag a little about finally getting it on the road. So far the 88mm cylinders (machine-in not slip-in) and the Engel 100 cam seem to have been a good choice but only time will tell.

I saw a lot of rust buckets when I lived new there. Bed liner spray would help get a few more years out of such a truck before it falls apart. Back then I turned wrenches at the Honda & Yamaha dealer. I hadn't seen so may stuck axles before or since.

I'd like to see pix when it's done. If time and money had come together for me I would have liked to have done the same with it. I sold it to Jen just after I got rear-ended in my Baja Bug and I didn't have garage space for both...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

My son in-law returned last fall from a tour of duty in Iraq so I might go with those colors to honer him. I'm more fond of woodland cammo but it could make it hard to find if parked next to a hedge. ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

wow what a great idea tony.

let me know how that works out. I have a 1970 parts bug I'm thinking of actually making run next summer as my ranch bug.

Reply to
slugbug