battery in backwards

A new customer brought his 73 convertable because of electrical problems. He had told me he bought a new battery about 500 miles ago but its no longer starting. He also said he had no horn or turn signals. I went to but a charger on the new battery and found it was hooked up backwards. He said it had to be that way for atleast 500 miles. He has no radio so there was nothing that would have smoked being hooked up . It was the talk around the shop today, I was saying no other car would do that (forget MG's).

I wouldn't try this at home.

Mario Vintage Werks resto.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Good thing it was an early '73. Late '73 had an alternator and he wouldn't have been so lucky :-(

You already know this, but be sure and check the Genny polarity or polarize it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

How could it have started with the engine backwards? Wouldn't the starter turn the wrong direction??

Reply to
vic20owner

How could he have ever started it with the battery backwards? The starter would have turned the wrong direction! Sounds like he reversed it while trying to get it to start.

Reply to
vic20owner

No, the starter has a wound field so polarity reversal doesn't change the rotation direction.

If you reverse battery, the field poles (magnetic) reverse and still "pull" the armature (now reversed too) in the correct direction.

If it were a permanent magnet motor (like the wiper), then it would go backwards.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ahhhh i see. Thanks for that. I didn't realize starters were not permanent magnet motors.

Reply to
vic20owner