alternator

I have made the decision to install a alternator instead of a generator in my 72 1600. Do I have to change the backing plates and the stand? Also what changes do I make to the wiring system? Any help with web sites on the subject would be appreciated.. Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes, change backing and the stand. You may be better off buying the complete kit.

For wiring change, see my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Will you sell me the old parts?

Reply to
Eduardo

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 04:13:10 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo ran around screaming and yelling:

eduardo, what are you looking for...a 12v generator? i may have one that is yours for the taking...if that is what you want i will check... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yes... a 12v generator.... only problem is sending money for shipping...

(and I still have to send for an engine stand I promised to buy and still havent done so)

paypal?

Reply to
Eduardo

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 04:36:23 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo ran around screaming and yelling:

let me check and see what i have...i know i have a couple "working" generators...but i want to evaluate the overall condition of them. would hate to send something that is on its way out, if you know what i mean...do you need the backing plates, fan, regulator, etc? i should have all of that...(i like to convert to alternator, sorry maudib, LOL) Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:43:07 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo ran around screaming and yelling:

so the car already *has* a generator in place? just been modified when the generator became inoperable? if so then yes, you just need the generator and the voltage regulator. will check my "stash" Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I got no issue with that Chris.

sounds to me like *you* have a clue about what you are doing................And Why you are doing it.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Exactly... standard cheap hack is to weld a Japanese alternator to the generator... the generator itself has been gutted out. It just moves the fan...

Reply to
Eduardo

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:49:36 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo ran around screaming and yelling:

i have three used generators(with fans, backing plates etc,but can remove if you don't need it)...they are *used* but i can take them and have them tested at a local autoparts store, if you wish to have one(or three, LOL)i also have a brand new "replacement" voltage regulator that is *not* bosch...it is a GP from a local autoparts store(advance auto/discount auto parts) if they check out you are more than welcome to one or all of them and i will even help with the shipping(so everyone doesn't think i'm a bad guy, LOL) if you desire(im sure shipping to Chile isn't exactly cheap, and i wouldn't mind helping out a fellow VW lover)... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Cheapest way to ship to chile is USPS 4-6weeks. I priced shipping for an engine stand at around US$29, I think shipping a generator would be around the same.....

If size or weight is a factor in shipping (I think USPS 4-6weeks is more or less the same for a range of weights) please remove the backing plates and fans... I also need the regulator....

I only need one generator, but if you want to send all three and shipping is not that much I can use all three... :)

Where are you in the US?

Reply to
Eduardo

Paul, in my opinion, your best bet would be to purchase one of the "Alternator Kits" from one of many suppliers. They usually have everything, including instructions, and you can't beat the price.

Nick Long

65 Beetle 66 Beetle (forsale, $400)
Reply to
Nicholas A. Long

Seconded about the kit. You may also need a 73+ style gas pump (the angled one) and may also need to do some slight clearancing on some carb shaft.

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 23:45:53 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo ran around screaming and yelling:

i am on the east coast....Virginia to be exact....shoot me an email at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (remove umm..."remove"..hehe) the local autoparts store says they don't test vw generators off the car(they claim they can't set them up on the test unit) but i have a friend (imagine that everyone, i actually have friends) that works for them, that said he will test them, its just a matter of time...anyway email at the above address and we will go from there... thanks Chris Perdue

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:32:18 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...how'd you do(good till now?)

they are welcome to thiers...but i am also going to state mine....oh never mind...

hey i bowed out of that thread...just like i said i was...

Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani