Alternator/shroud/fan problems...help!

ok, I've been fighting this problem for awhile. The alternator on my 65 has a lot of play and the pulley rubs the front cover all the way aroundand it started happening all of a sudden. then the fan started rubbing the shroud. I have to have this car back together by tomorrow (tuesday) and need to take care of this ASAP. Any ideas ? I've had the car apart for almost 2 months, and it IS my Daily Driver....can anyone help ? Thanks.

Nick Long

65 Beetle 66 Beetle (forsale, $400)
Reply to
Nicholas A. Long

Based on what you're saying(and this is making some assumptions), it sounds like the alternator has an internal problem. If this problem cropped up all at once, the pulley and fan started rubbing, it means the entire center shaft of the alternator is moving back and forth within the body of the alternator. Bad bearing, broken retaining clip, there's no way to be sure until you take it apart, but one test you can perform is to remove the pulley, grab the shaft on the alt and try to push it in and out. Any appreciable play would indicate the problem is within the alternator.

One other thing came to mind, perhaps the pulley has been rubbing for some time and you didn't know it. Is the alternator strap loose? If so, the entire thing can move back and forth on the stand and cause the fan to rub. It's possible the pulley problem has been an issue for some time.

Chris

Reply to
Hal