As requested: The "Hoover Bit" thread resurrected

My "Quickie Q:" about oil cooler fore and aft foam pads resulted in John "jjs" suggesting that it might be time to resurrect the ever-popular "Hoover Bit" (VW part # 113 117 323) thread for everyone's benefit.

So I've been sitting here this afternoon, poking at the Wonderbus's engine with a stick because I left the jugs and pistons and new heads in the trunk of my wife's car so I can't work on those parts today, while mulling over how to get my push-rods the right length with limited measurement equipment. I thought to check to see if my oil cooler has that famous bit of gasket frame or whatever it is called. It is apparently quite handy for keeping the engine cool when the fan rpms are high. A little Googling produced this useful-appearing page:

Yup, mine is missing. Looks like I'll be fabricating one per the drawing on that page (unless someone has one to sell?).

This site also has some good pictures:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

What I did was make an adjustable pushrod by cutting a small section out of a stock rod. Tap it to suit a small bolt from your nutz & bolts jar.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-426F.JPG Use that to set the valve train geometry, then have a shop make up a set of pushrods to the final length of your adjustable.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-434F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

A few years back whilst scrounging through the tin pile at a VW wrecker, I found no less than a dozen of them. Only two were complete and one was pretty rusty. That one good one is on my engine now. The piece that was broken off almost every one was the finger that points towards the rear of the car. I'm guessing its from previous "mechanics" not realizing there was a 3rd bolt holding down the shroud and just started yanking.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe