Basic flasher relay wiring

Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

Reply to
hoovski

Go to this page of my web site:

Click on: " 3-terminal 12V flasher, simplified wiring diagram."

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

diagram."

Thanks

Reply to
hoovski

diagram."

The relay shown is a VW part.

#49 is the 12V power. #31 is a Ground. #49a goes to the signal switch.

You can buy a generic flasher at an auto parts store. These are thermal-operated and have 3 terminals marked: X Power in. L Load (signal switch) P Pilot (for dash indicator)

Some only have 2 terminals, omitting the "P".

There is a helpful article here:

are discussing the thermal flasher.Internals here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Basic flasher is pretty straight-forward, assuming it has its own lamps. If you're trying to emulate (or repair) the flasher module used on the early bug/bus (ie, the 'black box'), in which the flashers shared a filament with the brakes, it's a bit more difficult (a couple diodes are required). Best solution is to use Jim's schematic... and to ADD a lamp to the tail-light fixture if you are dealing with an early single-lamp design. (Be sure to match the flasher to the NUMBER of bulbs you want to flash.)

-Bob Hoover

PS -- I've got the circuit board layout & schematic for the DIY replacement for the 'black box' but its on 5" floppys... and I no longer have a working machine that can read them... assuming they're still good :-)

Reply to
Veeduber

I still have a 5 1/4" floppy drive for emergencies. :-)

Alas, no more 8" drives. Here's a YouTube vid of an old 8" drive in operation:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Local Fry's still carries 8" floppies. Only $199 per 10.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I had an IBM computer with a 5" drive just a couple of years ago, before moving down here :) It was fully functional but the hard drive boot sector was corrupted. (It had a massive 10MB hard drive). I was not able to find a 5" boot disk to fix the boot sector and get the thing running. So I gutted the damn thing and meant to build a modern pentium inside it. Some frame cutting would have been required. It had a matching old skool CGA monitor too, which I was going to convert as well. Sadly I had to abandon the project. I wanted to retain teh 5" drive too just for kicks.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson