battery dead?

Have patience with me, I'm new at this.

I have a 1970 'vert, have put 1500 miles on it in the last 2 years. ALWAYS started easily. The PO had replaced the battery and brake lines, new pans.

Last parked it in June after driving it a few times with new fuses replaced in May?

Tried to start it yesterday because the weather here in Virginia is starting to cool down. All I see is the 2 little red lights under the speed indicator. Won't start. Not even a clunk. The headlamps glow pretty well, not full, so there is some juice.

Dead battery, right? I can replace it myself, right?

Thanks

Randy in NoVa

Reply to
Randy

Just for fun. Put it in 4th gear and rock it a little bit. Then see if it starts.

Randy

RSMEINER

...............After rocking it like REMEINER suggests, and if it still won't start cranking, you're going to need to recharge that battery next. In warm weather, they don't really hold their charge for months(?) at a time without getting charged occassionally. There is a pretty decent selection of battery chargers at Sears.

BTW.............I can't imagine having a 'vert and letting it sit all summer until the weather starts to "cool down". They are great to drive around in on a summer evening.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Did that. Rocked it as far as I could by myself, about 4 inches forward, then 4 back, back and forth for about 10 seconds. No joy. The put it in neutral and rocked it about 6-8 inches to-and-fro. Nothing but the red lights glowing.

p.s. the battery terminals are clean and tight, no corrosion.

Randy in NoVa

Reply to
Randy

Not even a "click" from the starter solenoid??? And the Red lights don't dim when key is turned to start??? That sounds more like a bad ignition switch or open connector at the starter solenoid. (I'm assuming this is a 4-spd, not auto.)

Try this: Lift rear seat and find the 2 Red wires on the left side in a plastic splice. Jumper that to battery pos post. (Shift in Neutral!) If the starter clicks or tries to start, it's bad ignition switch. If still nothing, get underneath and check the push-on connector at the solenoid.

You could check it underneath the car by jumpering as shown here:

Wear glasses! and be sure shift is in neutral.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Oo, I hadn't thought of that. The battery's an Interstate 50 month. Clean connections/posts.

Yeah, well... I was so exited to have a chance to buy my first bug I forgot how I hate hot humid summer weather. I melt without AC. I know, I know...WIMP! And commuting in the DC area, I'm asleep by 8 and up at 4 am.

Randy, sharing too much information!

Reply to
Randy

Theres your problem. You just need to get away from that area and get some fresh air.

Randy

RSMEINER

My next suggestion was a few choice yet light taps with a hammer to the starter. Maybe we better wait on that.

Have seen where the connector to the solenoid has been knocked loose either by a cat or who knows what.

Randy

RSMEINER

No

No

Yes, 4 speed.

You mean a quick "short"? Insulated number 12 or 10 wire heavy enough?

(Shift in Neutral!) Yes, shift in neutral.

Well, I'll try the advice tomorrow afternoon in the daylight.

BTW, what was the purpose of rocking it in 4th? I could hear the gas sloshing about.

Randy in NoVa

Reply to
Randy

Occasionally, the starter gear will not quite mesh with the flywheel. Might even get stuck there. Rocking back and forth will usually free that up. I think I have had that happen to me maybe twice in 30 years.

But hey, it gives you something to do while you think about what to do next. And vents a little frustration also.

Randy

RSMEINER

Always good to learn new things.

Frustrating was getting the darn seat back in place while trying to keep the seat belts from slipping back down behind!

Thanks to you and Jim. Will post again soon.

Randy in NoVa

Reply to
Randy

Pay more attention do Jim. He's got this "stuff" down to a fine are. I have it down to a fine fart. Now, get out of DC and enjoy life.

Randy

RSMEINER

LOL

Yes, #12 wire (aka screwdriver blade).

The rock>

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Nah, thats what matches are for.

Randy

RSMEINER

Hi Randy

If by last parked it in June, you mean you haven't used it since then, I'll put money on it that it's a flat battery. They don't hold their charge forever. Just put it on charge, or try and run start the car by getting a friend or two to give you a decent push then with the car in 2nd gear and ignition on let the clutch out i.e. engage the engine. It should fire up as you've got a little charge in the battery, as the ignition lights are glowing.

Good luck. Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I had the same happen to me even after replacing the electrical half of the ignition switch. Speedy Jim told me about an aftermarket starter relay I could install. Something to do with the wires getting old and corroded on the inside between the starter and the ignition switch and back to the starter again. Well I installed it and I have not had any problems getting it started since.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

A local vwdubber is loaning me a battery charger. I'll pick it up tomorrow night and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the wish of luck!

Randy in NoVa

Reply to
Randy

..............If you were a guy, you could push start it like I used to be able to do before I got old.

LOL

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hehe, I did that for a couple months when I was a poor student and couldn't afford a new battery. The driveway was very narrow too. I don't really know how I didn't wreck the car.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

With my 2CV you can theoretically start it using a handcrank!

Reply to
Ben Boyle