Bay window on Axle stands

Hello. Need to sort rear brakes out, where should I place the stands. I was thinking on the diagonal bar or torsion tube. Bar is preferable as I dont have to jack so high.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I would place them under the torsion bar

Reply to
Kafertoys

Answer does not parse.

Place them under the torsion tube, as far to the outside as possible. This is by far the most massive part of the whole Bus.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Cracking book, love the concept of the dimensions shifting *that* much....

Thanks. Will get some stands. Any idea how high I have to jack to get the rear wheels off the ground, assuming the suspension will droop?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

A normal floor jack (the kind with wheels) will do it. Add a block of wood between jack and car to save it from scratching/denting. Jack under some sturdy chassis beam. Note that depending on the condition of the bus, they may be less sturdy than they came from the factory.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Maybe this is just me, but whenever I have tried tp place jackstands under the torsion tubes (on beetles and busses) the whole vehicle somewhat pivots on me (this is on a complete vehicle motor installed etc..). It creaks and moans and the front suspension starts to rise.

On my 71' Westy I use the trailing arm, at the base, unless of course that is what I am gonna work on. I just re-indexed my springplates so I used the horns where the motor mounts are (on the frame not the crossbar). Spend a couple of extra bucs for some big and tall stands if you plan on using the frame, or you'll prbably have to jack up, remove tires and then drop van down to the stands.

As far as jack points, I have a class II hitch so I get to cheat and use my jack there :) Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro