before you buy a steering box...<long>

I was driving home tonight and the cheap plastic horn button popped off my Grant steering wheel. I noticed the steering wheel would move a few inches from side to side w/o the car following through...it has been loose, but never this bad... I felt inside the steering wheel for the nut, and I could tighten it with my bare hands (!!)... so tomorrow, I'll go out and tighten that sucker down, with the 4-way lug wrench, and wheels straight (duuuhhh)... just another thing to watch and file away in my head with the other VW owners' worries... back in 1968, I was 16 and visiting NYC on a lot of Boone's Farm. I turned the wrong way onto Broadway and proceeded along, and then I noticed the light ahead changing, and a million theatre cabs heading for me. Pulling over to the side, the steering wheel came off into my hands, so I just absently placed it back on the column and pulled over

- it was a Mustang convertible and I miss it... and I just told the newbie Ramva doesn't flame posters!!!

Reply to
pmbedard

bare hands (!!)...

Grants are famous for that! I had to do some mods to mine as the adaptor was not thick enough and it bottomed out on the shaft and it would never tighten up enough, I also double nutted it on when I made the repair.

I remeber a few years ago on here someone that used to post alot and has now dissapeared was telling me something to the effect of his grant adaptor breaking while driving his bus!

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Yeah - I've heard about Grants, but it was the closest and cheapest ($10 ebay) I could get to an OOLD Formuling I had on a bug years ago...I was going to ask about double-nutting, and maybe some Loctite deal???

Reply to
pmbedard

If I had a nickel for every time my wheel loosened up with that cheap grant adaptor, I'd be a rich man. I would advise putting blue loctite on the threads before you tighten it, that was what finally stopped it from backing out for me. If the splines in the adaptor are worn(another common problem) then you really should get a new adaptor since the metal grant makes those adaptors out of seems to be exceptionally soft.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

i have a formuling france wheel and the horn button has crumbled into pieces... i hear that they went out of business... so now I think I am going to try to fab something so i can use a stock horn button... but for the time being I have a 2.5 inch hole in the center of my steering wheel.... yeah my wheel loosens up from time to time also...

--

Reply to

Well, it broke again. . . . . . . on a bad mountain. Colin

Reply to
Colin

I went out and popped the horn button on mine to see what I did to repair. The nut would bottom out and the adaptor would never get tight. I put a washer between nut and adaptor can't rember if the washer was on the stock wheel or not but the OD was too wide so I ground it smaller to fit inside the three

7/16" bolts that hold the wheel to the adaptor. I used the stock VW nut first and then the smaller dia nut that comes with the Grant adaptor as the "lock". I have not had any type of problem whatsover with it since (been a few years now). I'm pretty sure thats all I did to "fix" it but for some reason I keep thinking there was something screwy at the base too(between adaptor and column).

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro