Best way to replace CV boots and axles?

I really new to all this, but I was wondering what is the best way to get the beetle up enough to replace the cv boots and axles? Do I need to pull the engine to get at the transaxle?

Reply to
info

No, a regular floor jack and jack stand will suffice. Removing the wheel helps tremendously as well.

You must clean out the head of each bolt before trying to remove it, and make sure you use the correct 12 point tool or you will destroy the bolts. The tool must go in all the way to the bottom of the bolt or you'll strip out the head of the bolt. If you are working on the passenger side axle I would suggest disconnecting the battery first.

It takes longer to prep for doing this job than it does to actually remove the axle. Once all the bolts are out removing the axle is a trivial task. If it is stuck a few light taps with a rubber mallet will get it freed up for you.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

The tool for the IR bolts are unique. You aren't likely to find them at the local shop. Or least I could not. Got 'em from aircooled.net.

Reply to
<jjs>

My local O'Reilly's Auto Parts has the "Triple Square" bits in a set of

4, costs about $5. Worked for me to pull 2 transaxles last week and install one.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

i have bought several from the local NAPA and once got one from Fishers autoparts.

Reply to
Joey

I forget sometimes that I live in a wierd place.

Reply to
<jjs>

LOL.... you guys over winter yet?

Reply to
Joey

Nope. It snowed today, but on campus girls were wearing shorts and t-shirts. If you saw it you would understand what it means when we say "It's nippy".

Reply to
<jjs>

hahaha...nippy is good....

Reply to
Joey

John... You take great pics. Where are they?

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1