Blasting Cabinet for hobby use

I've been looking for an inexpensive cabinet to use for small parts (up to shroud sized stuff) for use in my barn/shop.

I already have this pressure blaster for outside use and my compressor will keep up with it if I blast at about a 50% duty cycle. It really helps to have the nozzle that you can operate with one hand. But the media winds up on the ground. It will go through 50 pounds of media pretty quick.That gets expensive and isn't so good for casual use.

So now I'm looking at this cabinet. I don't think it comes with an exhaust fan, but I have read about folks hooking a shop vac up to the exhaust port on the back on the cabinet.

Any comments from folks who have one of these?

Max

Reply to
Max

Howdy Max. A neighbor and friend got 1 of those cabinents earlier this year. He likes it quite a bit. I haven't tried it out yet but this guy is pretty picky about what he does and buys.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I rolled my own-

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

That is too cool! Nice job!

Do you use glass bead media? How well does it last?

Max

Reply to
Max

I've used glass beads, glass grit & sand. The beads arn't quite aggresive enough for me in most cases but they do leave a real nice finish on the metal. I find the grit works very well for most things & is cheaper. For really heavy rust sand is the way to go (& the cheapest).

I get about five cycles out of the media before it's either too dusty and/or so chewed up it's been sucked into the shop vac.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

The silicone in the sand scares me. I've used some in my pressure blaster, but with a respirator. Most of the recommendations I can find recommend a completely separate breathing air supply.

I've also used glass bead in it and you are right about the finish it leaves. Paint loves it too!

Max

Reply to
Max

I don't believe the occaisional light use is going to result in silicosis but FWIW I have a HEPA filter on the shop vac. For outside use just stay up-wind of what you're blasting.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Well, I went ahead and got the Harbor Freight blasting cabinet.

Works pretty good. I do have my shop-vac hooked up to evacuate the dust, but really haven't needed it.

I've been trying it out on various small parts.

Before:

After:
This is fun! :D

Max

Reply to
Max

lol congrats! now how do you plan to keep things rust-free and pretty?

Well, I went ahead and got the Harbor Freight blasting cabinet.

Works pretty good. I do have my shop-vac hooked up to evacuate the dust, but really haven't needed it.

I've been trying it out on various small parts.

Before:

After:
This is fun! :D

Max

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The area up by the flange will get some VHT header paint.

I think the rest will get 500=BA engine enamel. The engine enamel is holding up well on my Baja's muffler in daily-driving duty.

For engine tin, pulleys and such I really like Appliance Epoxy under the Rustoleum brand name. For my money it looks as good as powder- coating.

Max

Reply to
Max

Two thumbs up! ;-)

I think the rest will get 500º engine enamel. The engine enamel is holding up well on my Baja's muffler in daily-driving duty.