clutch question, manual tire changer question

When I have to someday replace my clutch in my TJ, are there any "heavy duty" clutches I can get for it? Something that would grip a bit better than stock? I noticed I can't pull vehicles too large outta sand without burning my stock one up a bit.

Also, I've seen manual tire changers on the internet, are they worth a damn? Or should I just buddy up with a tire shop here in town for swapping tires on rims? I saw this one:

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Things that might help your clutch are a winch, and regearing the axles. What gear ratio is it now? A clutch is not really designed to deliver power while slipping. Really, there are two legitimate positions for the clutch pedal, down and up.

I have used toy tire changers before. They are not much fun.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Ya my first instinct was to winch it out but the last time the girl was surrounded by about 25 yards of sugar sand all around, except for the ocean part, where the tide was moving in on her heh heh. I'm running 4.56 gears w/33's... and she had a stuck mitsubishi 4 door deal buried up to the underbody... Not from around here apparently cuz no one else was around that area of the beach. I had to pull her out and across all this sand, and I think she might have hit the brakes a time or two while doing it.

This jeep is my first manual transmission and I wasn't sure if I could get more "grip" with the tranny with a higher performance clutch. A buddy has had a ceramic one put in his mustang and says its a big difference, I'm just not sure if it would be the same for a jeep? (TJ)

After reading all these posts, I suppose I'll pay a local shop to swap tires... I wanted my rims on my jeep put on my gf's and I'm getting new ones, so there'll be 10 rim/swaps going on, and I'm sure I'll want to get another set of mudders for some special occasion sometime in the future.

I have seen where they fill the tire with ether and blow it up on the rim, anyone have any luck with that?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Yeah I have that HF tool also;

also welded up some metal to make a sturdy base I can bolt it to so it is truly "portable". It works well enough for me and I have changed a couple of dozen tires with it. So it has paid for itself esp. since I bought it on sale for $35. ;-) BTW I usually use a towel to protect the wheels while I break the bead!

later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
One out of many daves

Well there should be some links floating around about the 'Darwin Award' wanna be's playing with ether and tires. Usually after a few beer too...

You wrap a strap around the center of the tire and either winch it up or use the tire iron and twist it up like a tourniquet. This pulls in the center and pushes out the bead to the rim.

Manually changing an off road large tire sucks the big one!

You should be thinking about a centerforce clutch for pulls like that. The higher the rpm you hit it at, the harder it grabs.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Using liquid oxygen to light a charcoal grill

Billy Ray

But not near as much as pumping that sucker up with a manual tire pump!!

Reply to
Will Honea

Mike Romain proclaimed:

The real Darwin Awards are available at the website of the Annals of Improbable Research, where you can also learn about such delicacies as Kopi Luwak (aka "this coffee tastes like s**t).

I think you can still buy those air pressure driven constrictor tubes for helping bead seat on moderate sized off road tires.

The ones with the old locking rings are more likely to just slice off the slow parts of your body on their way thru the nearest wall.

Reply to
Lon

Never had a problem with them... good idea to tap the ring with the hammer while airing. Split rings much better than the non-split ring 7.50-16. Worst were the 'suicide' wheels, the 18" split wheels found on old school buses.

Done the ether-match thing many times... sometimes vegetable grease is all that will get it, you pack pounds of it around the rim, then recycle it back into the bucket as the tubeless tire inflates. Don't forget to put the wheel up on something so the back bead is sitting tight! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell