Gasoline Question (not Jeep specific but you guys would know).

Greetings,

I'm asking about ethanol/gas blends. It seems every pump has a "10% Ethanol" sign on it. But they always put the sticker over on the 86/87 oct. side, not on the 89 and up stuff. Do you know:

  1. Is only the low-grade blended with ethanol? Or do all oct. ratings have it ?

  1. Are there any common brands that *don't* use ethanol?

I own four engines; a '97 TJ, a '05 Harley FLSTNI, a so-so push mower, & a Honda GXH50 with water pump. The Harley gets Hi-test only. But the others hum on

89 and cough on any brand 86/87 with ethanol and I think ethanol is about as useful as horse piss, IMHO.

Andrew

Reply to
rock_bustin

I'm in the same bucket. :/ At least here in Oklahoma there will be a law in effect this Jul 1 that mandates labels on any pump containing ethanol. fuel-testers.com sells a test kit, but anyone can make one with just a plastic tube. You just put a measured amount of water in the tube, and fill with gas. Shake the tube and let it sit. The alcohol will come out of solution in the gas and go into the water. So if the line between water and gas grows, you know it has ethanol. The amount of growth tells you the percentage of ethanol.

I've toyed with using this process to remove ethanol from gas, but it's just too much of a pain in the butt and I don't have one of those nifty water seperators like they had on the old tractors.

I object. Horse piss has a use, at least to the horse.

That and boats should never use E10 because of the water adsorption. Even Mini (because of the aluminum engine) recommends against it. FAA forbids use of any ethanol blend in private aircraft as it not only can freeze because of water, but lowers the operational ceiling and power rating of the engine.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

The Harley?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Its kind of hard these days to find a new engine that isn't ally !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

We may be free of this nonsense in a few years. Ethanol and in fact any bio-combustible competes with food production, and a sizeable percentage of our yearly gross national product is devoted to giving food away, for free, to starving third world countries who in exchange hate us and make fun of us. The Brazilians are being beaten on pretty harshly for their own moderately successful ethanol program. It seems some people would rather eat. That philosophy will eventually hit home here.

Ethanol has a use.

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle

You quite obviously have orders of magnitude more faith than I do in the inherent intelligence or just giving a rat about ordinary folk quota of the tree huggers and politicians.

I salute you for your faith.

And predict hell will freeze over before anyone figures out a simple cause and effect.

Earle Hort>>> Greetings,

Reply to
Lon

I happened to be at the pump when some Pump Engineer showed up to service the pump itself. FWIW; he told me any pump that has an Ethanol sign on it will have EtOH in all blends, that no major brand doesn't have it in their blends, and "it sure will clean out your hoses."

Then I went over to Advance Auto hoping they had a "Get-EtOH-Out" product but I guess it doesn't exist. I learned a lot at the web-site one responder mentioned and I think the stuff is even worse now than when I first asked the question. I intend to do a (rough) Full tank each of 86/87, 89, and 93 to see how my mpg varies, if any.

I'm in VA, BTW where 10% is the rule. I pity those who will lose

20-29% of their mpg when 15%+ EtOH is law. Especially the older vehicles. I think Barrack will try to just starve them right off the road no matter how fat your wallet may be.

Andrew