brazillian beetles

Anyone know the mods done to the engine to run it on sugart can ethanol ?

Curious to know :)

Reply to
fraggie

I have not been able to get any specs on the mods made at the factory. If you do, let me know. I have an old motor trends from the

70's that mentions a motor built that had a 12 to 1 compression ratio that ran on alcohol in brazil but not exported from the vw factory there. I know these engines run cooler, have greater compression and advanced timing but that is about all I know so far. Dennis
Reply to
Dennis

I've also been toying with this idea. So far, the only info I've found is pretty general:

  1. Fuel tank and all lines must be compatible with the fuel, since it's corrosive.
  2. Re-jetting of the carb/timing. You'd think with all the VW's in Brazil there'd be a "kit" of some sort or at least a comprehensive technical paper but I haven't found the specific information yet. Bill.
Reply to
Bill

Yes. I have the whole conversion manual. Without going into agonizing detail, let me begin by saying that if you don't live in the tropics, or damned near, then forget about it - the warming system needed to run alcohol is huge, daunting as hell. "Cold" starting with alcohol means any temperature below 60F, and even at 60 it's a bitch - you still need gasoline to start it most of the time.

And you thought cooling the ACVW was a challenge? There are more parts of tin to warm the engine than to cool it. Count 'em! Fact is, most Bugs are missing at least four pieces. Much more if you don't have flaps.

Reply to
Pico