Buying advise

I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the interior picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with flat top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob, aftermarket radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).

A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort of welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid appears to be broken away or damaged.

The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people but since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this car could be a mine field. Opinions?

>>Mike
Reply to
Mike64Bug

Door windows have 'no drafts'. I thought that '56 was the first year for that. This wouldn't be a dealer in West Helena AR, would it?

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

I stand corrected, the 'no drafts' were started in 1952. But the straight shifter raises some eyebrows. If I remember correctly, the '55 shifter had a bend in it to miss something as it shifted. I don't have my good VW book here to check what it was bent for.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

BTW, there is a series of yearly changes and chassis numbers online at:

If there is a chassis number, you can check by that, too.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Also for years John Henry has a link to a pretty thorough site to sort it all out:

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Mike things like the shifter and pedal assembly can easily be replaced.

You might find it hard to locate a 55 W decklid.

Understand tho its very hard to find a perfect ner 50 year old car, theres things that always need to be replaced or repaird.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

I wasn't so much worried about parts that had been replaced due to normal wear over fifty years. I assume that most of the (correct) parts could be found with a bit of detective work and of course a few $$$. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something more serious.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Hi Mike, A friend has his '67 for sale (it's here at my place now). It has alot of upgrades on the engine but would make a great car to finish restoring (it's one of my favorite years I just wish I could afford to buy it). It's on Samba at

$1,000! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver