what is MoS2 ?

Can you say grease?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Ok, I'll tell you. In this particular case is used as a lubricant. The crystals that form the MoS2 are flexible, thus reducing the friccion caused by this compuond. it is also used as an abrasive, but not in this case. It looks and feels almost like graphite, the only difference to the naked eye is the color.

If you really are into chemistry, here are some links.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Ooops sorry, in spanish we use the same word for oil and grease (you probably know, right?)

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant (the cool one)

Ok, thanks for the links. I thought the MoS2 would react with rust leaving a cleaner surface, but it seems to be mainly extra lubricant, so why is this product specially recommended for rusty nuts & bolts?

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant (the cool one)

I believe it's the coumpound that makes grease slippery and able to hold up to higher temps. I could be wrong about this...and probably am! Anybody else know? ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Lo se, aca tambien se habla espanol. Pero aca diferenciamos aceite de grasa.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

Rusty nuts and bolts have a high friction coeficient, so they are more difficult to move. If you lubricate them (I like WD40) it should be easier.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

You are right.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Molybdenum Disulfide, actually.

What does it to chemistrywise? Dunno, I'd have to research it, which it looks like others have given you links to do already. Without researching, I'd have to say, nothing chemistrywise. Physically, it makes it 'slipperier'? ;-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

Hi All

Before trying to remove the drum brake nuts I pour some oil for rusty nuts and I read in the spray that it contains normal oil plus a compound called MoS2 (Molybdenum sulfide I believe). Does anyone know what exactly does this compound do? I mean chemistrywise.

Ant

Reply to
Ant

HMmm, WD 40 is not an lubricant actually..... Water Dispersant..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Right. but it works sometimes

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Molybdenum Disulfide was the Teflon of the day, and for the most part, it's day has passed.....at least as far as the snake oil marketing types are concerned. You used to see all manner of oil additives that bragged about having it as a main ingredient. Personally the only time I'd use it would be on cam lobes to help with break in.

WD-40 is only good for removing grubby fingerprints from ignition wires and painted surfaces......drying out dist caps....and making fireballs shoot out of the can. Water works better as a penetrant/lubricant (no joke). I prefer PB Blaster or Kroil (Kano Laboratories)

Molybdenum steel is a very strong yet somewhat flexible metal that CH Wills used in his Wills St. Claire automobile of the late 20's. Tom Lieb(?) of Scat fame owns a small fleet of these very rare cars. They were nicknamed the Moly B cars. Quite advanced for thier day, they used this metal extensivley and also had a novel OHC OHV V8 which was pretty much unheard of at the time. He made his original fortune working for Ford developing the Model T and is reputed to have designed the famous Ford script logo.

After his car company failed he went on to work for Chrysler and made loads of money. His old plant is now owned by them (not sure if this was an arrangement or if it just worked out this way). What else don't you want to know?

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

How do I create a wormhole big enough for a spacecraft and keep it open long enough for periodic intergalactic travel?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

BTW, why are there 2 Ants here? a red one and a black one?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

You didn't show me the secret handshake so I can't tell you without suffering the wrath of the Atomic Mole people from the planet Zantac.

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

................Why would the sub-human atomic moles claim to be from a planet that blocks the production of gastric juices? Maybe they're really afraid to let everyone know that they're from the planet duculax because gerbil loving scandinavians would celebrate the moles' disgusting place of origin with an extraordinary demonstration of colonic peristalsis.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

  1. J.

Reply to
BergRace

Reply to
Tim Rogers

That's easy for you to say. Seems to me that you've been programmed by some MIB's after being mind melded.

-ANT

Reply to
ANT