'Car Repairs Are Forbidden'

Ever see a sign like that? Pretty common in most of the Yuppie complexes here in southern California.

Electronic gates, razor wire inside the boundry hedges, air conditioning, swimming pool, wall to wall dust collectors and no car repairs allowed.

It's all bullshit. Or a matter of definition.

What happens if you got a flat? How you going to change the tire if 'Car Repairs Are Forbidden'?

Turns out -- as proven by a couple of court cases -- your landlord can NOT prevent you from changing a flat tire or replacing a burned out headlamp, tail light and so forth. This sort of thing is not considered 'repair' in the accepted sense but a form of REQUIRED maintenance needed to ensure the safe operation of the vehicle, not only on the public streets but on the private property represented by the typical Yuppie ghetto.

The intent of the 'no repair' rules are clearly meant to keep inconsiderate tenants from turning the place into a grease pit.

And that's where those oil-suckers come in.

So long as you keep a low profile you will find you can do most of your required maintenance without triggering the ire of either the landlord or the Tenants Committee (heaven help you if you got both). And if they want to make an issue of it, go for it. There are attorneys who specialize in the rights of renters. Have a chat with one. See if local case law supports the Health & Safety provisions of vehicle ownership. If so, odds are all you'll need is a letter from your attorney to their attorney to get them off your back.

Alas, common sense turns out to be remarkably uncommon stuff in modern-day America. Pulling your engine does NOT qualify under the accepted definitions of maintenance needed to ensure safe operation of the vehicle. What qualifies are MINOR items such as lights, tires and fan belts, and the replenishment of fluids... engine oil, tranny juice, coolant, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid and so forth. Indeed, thoughtful VW owners who live in such wretched places have been doing such maintenance as a matter of course without creating a fuss.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Do like I did. Move. To the country. Deeper. :)

Should be renamed to "uncommon sense"..... lol

This very thing has had me rolling my eyes on several occasion...

Drawing a line could turn out to be difficult.. or maybe they realized it and therefore banned it ALL... simpler that way. Easier to enforce.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I live in a apartment. One day I had my bug idling in the parking lot giving another car a jump start when my wife pointed out the huge oil puddle under my bug. I had a valve cover gasket get sucked up enough that I lost about half my oil before I noticed it. I just shut it off and pushed it into one of my parking stalls.

The landlord lady threw a fit over it. I left a nice 3 square foot puddle on the ashphault. I got a letter in my file and yet ANOTHER warning not to work on my car. I hate living here. I swear, when I get into a full time patrol position with any department I'm outta here and into a house.

Rob in Salt Lake

RobTaylor

Rob,

Are you in Brigham or in SLC? I'm in Ogden :) Just wondering if you were some how connected to the Northern Utah Vee-Dub Club? And if so - did you attend the cruise to Antelop Island last Satureday? It was my first club activity - and I had a really good time.

Reply to
Tom Shelton

I live in a snobby neighborhood. Here's a clip from the homeowners association crap they have online saying what I can and can't do:

C. All vehicles parked within Heathrow must be in operating condition both legally and mechanically (current license plates & inspection sticker, no flat tires, etc.). Any vehicle not in operating condition will be towed and stored at the owner?s expense after 10 days written notification if it is not placed in operating condition or removed from the property. D. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on the property without written approval of the ACC. E. Minor vehicle repairs (oil changing, tire changing, spark plug replacement, etc.) are allowed; however, major repairs (engine overhaul, transmission repair, brake replacement, rear end repairs, etc.) are not allowed. Vehicles are not allowed to be left on jacks or blocks. No mechanical device may be assembled or disassembled on any lot for more than 24 hours.

Oh goody! I can change my spark plugs. I'm glad to know that I can get away with doing any repairs to my vehicles that are SO MAJOR. Don't get me wrong. They can take away any of my "vehicular hobbies" whenever they want. AS SOON AS THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!

Reply to
Shaggie

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:56:22 -0400, Shaggie ran around screaming and yelling:

fuckem....tell em to stay off your property and they wont' be able to peek through the windows in the garage door...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yep, I moved from Phoenix area 11 years ago into the middle of nowhere. Never missed 'anything forbidden' signs.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

We have similar rules from our homeowners' association. However, you can do anything you want as long as you can close it inside the garage (where the '71 rests right now while I perform all manner of work).

You can also do what you want out in plain sight in your driveway, but you cannot leave a vehicle out in plain view that is obviously disabled and non-driveable.

I figure if someone complains, I'll mention the '64 Chevy pickup one of my neighbors has had up on jackstands in his driveway for the last few months (sans wheels and tires), or possibly my nextdoor neighbor who lets his Weinmarinar out without any leash or other restraints so that it can poop on my back porch or piss on my dog (it has done this twice - arrrggh).

Reply to
Malcolm

are they anything like the "Don't feed the animal signs". sorry if I offend anyone but, living in a gated community would be like living in a zoo to me. I thought we lived for are freedom. I have learned that you have to have your mail boxes and such a specific brand and color, well there goes individuality and not to mention getting lost coming home after spending a night out with mr. J. Daniels

Reply to
Kafertoys

go ahead and put up a 80 or 100meter antenna... or better yet put up a long wire, sloping V or a folded dipole up in the yard... I bet that would send them into a fit they wouldn't come out of very soon...lol

Reply to
dragenwagen

I took the body off and did all the repairs right in my driveway on the

69... never had a prob of course it was always back in the garage at night... : ) of course I live in MS now and I think its part of the homeowners agreement that you have to have at least one junk car in the yard...lol.

Actually they just started to crack down on that where I live... they now have a "yard cop" . if your grass is getting too wild or if you have junky cars in the yard with no tags or are all torn apart - they can write you up and you have to go to court to pay a fine... those bastards.

Reply to
dragenwagen

I'm all for that individuality factor but when you've paid 200,000 or more for your home and work your ass off to keep the yard and house looking nice, and some billy-bob redneck next door has a mailbox half hanging off a post, couple of junk cars in the yard and the laundry hanging out to dry on a line from tree to tree, you quickly appreciate those home owner association rules. Not everybody has the common sense and respect for their neighbors to keep up their own property. It's a shame, but rules are made for idiots that won't use their own brain.

Susan

74 Std Betty

individuality

Reply to
Susan S.

Yep.....our "yard cop" got my son this last weekend. He lives within the city limits and is restoring a 75 bug. Had the body off the frame, up under a carport area and still got served with a notice. Any vehicle not in working order must be kept in an enclosed garage out of public view. He's got 30 days to get it moved inside the garage.

Susan

74 Std Betty

conditioning,

replenishment

Reply to
Susan S.

Bullshit. If Billie-Bob can afford to live in your neighborhood and your particular ideal is all about money, then be the complete capitalist yuppie scum and try to buy him out, or move - or change your lifestyle to something you can truly afford. Borderline economic duress is not The Good Life.

Reply to
one_of_many

You are headed in a bad direction. Next thing is to enforce personal appearance standards, dress-codes, styles, neighborhood fees to support policing and then you will have your ideal world - dead broke, impoverished esthetics, no individuality worth having.

Reply to
one_of_many

I assure you that I have no economic duress. And money has absolutely nothing to due with pride of your own home, respect for you neighbors, and again, common sense. Rich or poor can have those personality traits. Money doesn't buy class....never has.

Susan

74 Std Betty
Reply to
Susan S.

That's your opinion. I agree with Susan.

Reply to
Shaggie

Of course you do.

Reply to