Carb and automatic choke

Got my Bocar 30/31 on my 1300 DP (with adaptor), and I've noticed that the automatic choke closes much faster than tha auto choke on my 34 pic-3. I don't think it gives enough time for the engine to worm up, and the engine chokes when I push the gas. After 5 minutes the engine choking desapers.Question: how long should an automatic choke go from open to closed? If says 12 volt on the choke, so its not a case of a 6 volt choke on a

12voltcarb/car. Help?
Reply to
Macsoft

Have you got or can scrounge a multimeter that measures resistance?. If so check the resistance of both heater windings in choke assemblies. Measure between the spade terminal and the body of the heater assembly. Should be roughly the same, If I remember correctly about 14 ohms. What may be throwing out the operation time of a particular choke is the rivet that secures the spade terminal also attaches one end of the heater. That rivet gets lose after so many years, the resistance goes up, the heat gets less and either the choke takes longer to operate or never completes its range of movement. In my cars the chokes usually are wide open after 2-3 minutes but I,m in a temperate zone in Australia. Reading some of the ramva donors I get the impression it gets bloody cold in USA and so it may take longer. I would have thought the 5 minutes you mention about right. If the rivet is loose it can be repaired. Get a punch with about a 3/16 inch face in a vice, push the heater aside and place punch face against underside of the rivet. Give a GENTLE tap on top of rivet. Too strong and you will cut through heater wire. Resistance should be nice and stable after that. Dont know much about the Bocar30/31, does it have a vacuum advance?. The engine choking when you accelerate sounds somewhat like the usual no vac advance issues. Cheers John

"Macsoft" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.netcabo.pt...

Reply to
John

Yes, it has a vacum advance. I'm on a temperate climat too, Portugal. But I keep tring to tune the misture thinking the problem might be there... then i noticed that on the choke. When its cold, the car takes some time to start too. What could it be? Thanks

Reply to
Macsoft

Correction: its a BROSOL carb not BOCAR.

Reply to
Macsoft

The automatic choke is adjustable.

You loosen the 3 screws holding the heat element in it's place, and rotate the heat element in a way that increases (towards the direction that opens the chock butterfly) or decreases warm up time.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 bug.

? "Macsoft" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@news.netcabo.pt...

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Reply to
Macsoft

You will have to rotate it a little towards the closing direction. Only if you rotate it excesively it will not fully open.