Carb cleaners

kerosene is good to use. a little safer than gas. but it will not CLEAN out the small passages that accumulate itty bitty, tiny, unseen particles that screw with a carb.

i bought a can of carb cleaner at the local flaps to soak them in. plastic, gaskets and the sort need to be removed since they will be eaten away.

i've had people tell me only a few hours, overnite, and up to a few days before the carb cleaner starts attacking the metal itself. guess i'll have to experiment before i screw up a good carb.

just my 2 cents worth

Reply to
bob

Are either mineral spirits or denatured alcohol good for soaking carbs in to clean? Thanks

Reply to
Rich

I have used kerosene as a general carb cleaner. Although it does not do as well as the retail carb cleaner. To really clean the carb you need to use a compressor to help clean out the small passages with a strong blast of air.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure that the mineral spirits will work well to remove the varnish. At least I hope so. Gonna give it a try, maybe overnite and see if there is any indication that it did any good. Can't hurt. Rich

Reply to
Rich