Carb Conversion 34PICT3 To H30/31PICT on 1600cc TypeI

34PICT3 To a H30/31PICT Carb For Better Economy?

Hi All! I just wanted to read some pros and cons of removing my 34PICT3, which works fine, and installing a H30/31PICT carb on my 1973 Beetle's

1600cc Type I.

I already have a good used H30/31PICT carb and a 34mm to 30mm adapter.

I know this would give less performance and would not be as fun to drive, but I thought with gas prices going up, this might give better economy.

OK. I am ready. Let it loose! Thanks In Advance! Sleepy Joe

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

When you get it tuned right, you will see NO difference, other than poorer performance.

If you fitted TWO dual 40mm Dellortos, and tuned them right, you STILL would see no difference.

Stay with the 34, that's what belongs there and works best. The time and wasted gas you spend to GET any other carb to work right, will negate the savings well into the future.

You win nothing.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I would drive less to save money ;-)

Here in the UK fuel has gone up to 82p per litre...so you have to put into perspective. Make sure your engine is tuned, tappets, points, timeing all set and heat rises working and hot air pipe to filter box intact.

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish