Carb Rebuild and Air Cleaner ?

On my fiberglass dunebuggy I still run the old oil bath aircleaner . I would like to go with the paper filiment type of some kind. Unless the old style oil bath is still more effective in dusty gravel road conditions . What do you guys think ? If the paper element is just as good or better what is the most economical way to go ?

Also, How hard is it to rebuild a stock carb. on a 67' 1600 DP with a 009 mechanical dist. ? I was getting horrible gas mileage ( around 15 mpg ) the last time I drove it which was about 5 years ago. Will rebuilding the carb. possibly help or is there something else I need to look for also ?

Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

The oil bath is the best aircleaner ever made. I don't know how well it works offroad.

Reply to
jjs

Except when turning a corner i.e. the oil/filter is ineffective!

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©

Not very well if there are hills involved, and there usually are.

This worked ok for me:

are rubber bands holding that in place. Sure they corrode, butif you leave them on so long that they corrode then you didn't changethe prefilter thingie soon enough anyway. :-)They make pre-filters like this if you don't want the home-grownversion:
start here:
search on "filter" and you'll see tons of choices.Oh yeah, don't forget one of these if you don't already have one:
Disclaimer: I don't think I've ever actually ordered any parts from cip1.com so I can't vouch for them being a good supplier, etc.

Reply to
Shag

Reply to
tcrdn11

It's not hard to build a stock carb. Use plenty of carb cleaner, I like the spray stuff and just pay attention to how it comes apart, put it back together that way only clean.

I'm sure theres a better aftermarket carb kit but I've found the one you can get from a NAPA store to be just as good and more complete than any.

As for the filter, if you change it often enough, paper or foam works great. I agree the oil bath was the best ever but on a buggy, I'd rather have paper.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

the oil may slosh to one side, but the filter media doesn't...the media also traps some oil in it....the oils job is to catch and hold dirt and particles and most of the actual filtering comes from the air changing directions

*inside* the filter housing...not from the oil...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I like the paper/foam lightly oiled for dusty conditions or off-roading type

Do a tune-up i.e. R/R plugs, points, condenser, rotor and cap. And also make sure that you adjust those valves.>Very Important<

What's the model No. Of that carb?

You can check the carb by looking down the throat - depress the throttle, at the same (use a flashlight) time while looking down the throat. You should see a narrow stream of fuel. If it drips, squirts to one side or dribbles as well as a stream -- you may need to rebuild the carburetor - is straight forward -- kits will include a small measuring tool and instructions -- simple! Very important to clean your carb well -- I recommend that you purchase a small gallon can of carb dip -- this will ensure that the carb is clean -- this stuff will eat carbon and any gunk that happens to be in or around your carb -- you need to CAREFULLY agitate the parts basket to get parts nice clean. you don't want to scratch anything!!!!! You will also need a can of cleaning solvent to clean the stuff out/off. carb cleaner in a spray can will do the trick @ 2 cans for one carb!

BBA

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©

The early dune buggy offroad drivers were the first to determine that the oil bath filter was less effective due to the conditions of the road surfaces -- or lack thereof. These are the guys who started using paper filters, and since they were the experts of the day, stock drivers felt the need to emulate this crowd and find their own paper element filters. Not knowing that this switch was due to driving conditions, and not because of the function of the stock air filter. The oil bath filter was not installed with the expectation that the vehicle might be see a tilt of more than ~15 degrees during normal operation.

It has never been demonstrated that a paper filter can filter as well as the stock oil bath air filter. Unless you are doing some particularly rough off-roading, go with the stock oil bath filter.

There is no stock VW carb which is difficult to rebuild. Although it does take a few times to get comfortable with the procedure. Follow the diagram and take your time, and you will succeed. (And get some carb cleaner before you start).

Reply to
luftgekuhlt