contaminated carb. cleaner?

I have a gallon of carburetor cleaner (paint type can w/ dipping basket) that I've had for a couple of years. It's stored in my heated garage, and was sealed shut last time I used it. There is no evidence of evaporation (in other words, the can is still full).

When I went to use it today, the surface was littered with little blobs of something - looked like moisture or maybe oil? Really looks like oil floating on water - would oil float on carb. cleaner? The only carb. I've soaked in there was off a small 2 stroke outboard engine, so the oil could have come from that.

Also, when I kind of stirred the fluid with the strainer basket, some very fine stuff started floating around, something that is in suspension, but towards the bottom of the can. It is not obvious contamination of particles because that would sink to the bottom and sit there. This stuff is very fine and floats around with minimal movement of the basket.

Is this stuff contamination, or is it something normal that just has to be mixed up before use?

If it is contamination, can I filter this stuff so I can use it? How would you recommend filtering it?

The surface blobs - what do you think they are? How to remove it?

Thanks much!

Reply to
Camilo

When I am finished soaking a carb, there is a lot of junk floating, sinking, etc. and the fluid is re-usable, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If I wanted to clean it I would put a coffee filter in the basket and filter it that way.

The paper from the filter will likely even soak up the oil skim.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Some of those cleaner formulations were emulsions of things like water, caustic soda, chlorinated solvents, cresols, etc. All emulsions are thermodynamically unstable, but many will stay together for a long time. Yours may have just separated somewhat.

I would have no hesitation of stirring the stuff back together and using it. Now, if it is reallllly old, I might check the composition and before I used it. Some of those really old ones were very effective, but may have contained hazardous components.

Reply to
hls

Thanks guys.

I think I will:

Stir it up Filter it through a coffee or paint filter physically remove any of the blobs if they remain.

I've always heard that these gallons can be used indefinitely, so I was surprised that there appeared to be stuff in there that I wouldn't want clinging to my clean carburetor.

Oh, I'll probably also put on the reading glasses and read the label on the can (why didn't I think of that). Maybe it will address the issue!

FWIW, it is a "modern" product - I bought it at Schucks about 2 years ago.

Reply to
Camilo