bicycles again?

I have some questions about how best to carry a pair of bicycles.

How have you found the Prius for carrying two bikes plus luggage inside the car?

How have you managed a pair of bikes plus luggage?

What is the effect of a bike rack on gas mileage with a Prius?

I've found exterior bike racks to have a considerable effect on gas mileage. My 328i dropped from 33 mpg on 70 mph trips to 27 mpg at that same speed with bikes, and still a considerable drop with rack but no bikes.

Ken Freeman

Reply to
Road Man

Is this a Classic or a 2g?

I've heard people have succeeded in squeezing a pair of bikes, both wheels removed of course, and other stuff into each. No experience myself, though. Personally, I'll go to considerable length to avoid using a rack again and not just for the fuel economy. I've just had too many hassles with bikes on the rack over the years.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Depends on whether you're using a roof-mounted bike rack, or a rear hitch-style rack. and of course the speed that you're driving with all that added weight and increased aeordynamic drag...

Reply to
mrv

I've found I lose 3-4 MPG with the roof rack on the car.

I lose another 3-4 MPG if I put a carrier box on the rack. Not sure how much putting the bike in the rack does because I never carry it that far.

-Kent-

Reply to
Kent Hoult