Charging System Question...

Hello,

I have a 1971 Type I that stopped charging a couple of weeks ago. Just 2 years ago (2002) I replaced both the regulator AND generator with NEW (not rebuilt) parts, and now it's doing it again. So, I decided to try the easy thing first and replace the regulator (again, with a new one) and viola! it was charging like crazy. It was working great for about a half hour until I pulled into a parking lot and went into a store and came back out and started the engine and it was no longer charging again! What's going on? Is the new regulator broken now too? I can't believe that I have to replace the generator after only 2 years. Should I try to re-polarize the generator?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Parker

Reply to
Jeffrey Parker

Go to my web site and see: "How do I test my generator?"

Go about this methodically; don't just replace parts.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hey Jeff Hit Speedy Jim's web site

is nobody here that could help you out better. he is The guru when itcomes to electical problems on vws, so look his web site over and if youhaven't figured it out, I'll try to get you an appointment with the manhimself...lol

he may respond with the answer next.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

lol Jim I swear I wrote that be for yours posted my server is slow sometimes.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

You did and it *is* slow. Jim