clutch interchange

I need some advice on an engine swap I'm doing. One enginge is out of a 74 super and the other one is a mexican motor our of a 68 westy (both are 1600). Will the clutch assemblies that are on the engines work in each other vehicle or do I switch them? They do not look alike, one has a ring and the other one has the pressure fingers without. Throw out bearings? Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis kirjoitti:

You need to match the pressure plate type to the throw out bearing type.

There are several different designs of pressure plates, though. First determine which type TO bearing you have, then we can tell which clutch goes with it. There's no telling if the 68 had the original transmission still in place or if it was converted to later model TO or something.

Pictures would help.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Look at the 6V/12V Conversion article on my web site.

Skip down to the section about clutches. There are pics illustrating what goes with what (has nothing to do with voltage :-).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Dennis

As always Jim, your website is educational.

I have one question/observation...

Would the early style pressure plate + TO bearing (w/ ring) work on a later tranny if you left off the TO bearing guide tube around the tranny input shaft? You might need to also change out the TO bearing arm and clips too.

Or, does the need for the guide tube dictate the TO bearing, which in turn dictates the pressure plate? (guide tube = new TO bearing = new pressure plate)

I'm just wondering in case I come across a bare tranny and all I have to go on is the mount points for the TO bearing guide tube, or not. Knowing that I could always use the older parts might come in handy in a pinch.

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

You could swap around, but I believe the shafts are different size, making more work. There may be a conversion kit for the shaft.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim