Clutch Slip

Over the winter I removed my engine out of my 61 beetle for cosmetic reasons. Upon removal I noticed the throw out bearing was a bit was, it was
worn in the center, the hole was kind of ovalled.. I decided while I had the engine out I would replace it.
So I ordered a new one not thinking to look closely at the old one before tossing it. I got the new one , installed it and didn't give it a second thought... that was until I started to drive it fro the summer. Not my clutch slips in second, third and fourth gear... First gear seems to be fine.
I compared some pictures I had taken during restoration to the way the clutch cable is adjusted now.... there seems to be about a half an inch of adjustment left on the cable as compared to before the restoration. But looking at the cable if I continue to tighten it the throw out bearing moves closer to the pressure plate not away from it.
Could the new throw out bearing be thinker and causing this slippage or am I thinking backwards as I adjust it..
Thanks for the help in advance..
Pics shown here: http://www.microbiz.ca/VW/help.htm
OK did you examine WHY the hole was oval shaped? Could it be a bad pressure plate? Could it be a bent release bearing arm?
I like to feel a tiny bit of clearance on the release bearing arm/lever at the adjustment nut. Also I check the pedal for free play. If you have clearance and the clutch is slipping you might need the pressure plate and the disc.
--
later,
dave