Clutch & Throttle cable lenghts

My wife's 62 beetle has had alot of different people work on it over the years, with a lot of parts of different vintages put in.

The problem now is that the clutch isn't releasing completly, even with the pedal all the way to the floor, there's about 11/2-2" of pedal travel before the tension increases. The tranny has the later style release lever with the wingnut to adjust the play, I found the wingnut is screwed all the way down, can't tighten it up any more. The tube it runs through has about 11/2" "droop" which according to the books is about right.

Questions:

Are there different length cables available?

How much thread should typically be left on the cable when everything is properly adjusted?

If it's not the cable what else might be going on?

I've also got a throttle cable that appears to be too long, the swaged part at the carb sticks right through the swivel & when the pedal is fully depressed the carb only appears to be opening ~3/4 of the way ( I thought it felt kinda gutless after the last tuneup :( ).

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

'62 to '71 used the 2260mm cable. 113 721 335A '61 for some reason used a 2250mm cable. 111 721 335A

But my first suspicion would be that the cable has stretched to near the breaking point. Less likely is a conduit tube which has come loose in the tunnel.

I would slap a new cable in.

All the 36HP, 40HP used the 2650mm accel cable. Change it at the same time. 111 721 555C

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Your car has shrunk in the last rainstorm. Give it a good stretch next time it gets wet.

Sorry :-)

James

Reply to
Juper Wort