Converting to the Church of SVDA...

Now I'm a believer of the church of NVSA (no vacuum single advance, aka 009..) . And I'm quite a strong believer cause my 1600 is running very nice. But all the preaching in this newsgroup makes me wonder what the SVDA will do. The nice running might be caused by the compufire (or petronix, I'm not sure) pointless ignintion I've got installed. Anyway, I still had my old SVDA laying around in my shed, so yesterday I cleaned it and removed the points and condensor. I checked the vacuum box is still working, and it does (sucking on the pipe moves the plate al little bit, it keeps the vacuum when i block it with my tong..).

But now my question, how do I check if the rest is still good? The Haynes manual says to turn the rotor anti clockwise while holding the bottom of the shaft. If it springs back than it's OK, the centrifugal advance is working. What else is to check? Can I check the sideway play in the shaft by hand? Is it whise to completely dismantle the distributor and clean / oil it? What lubricants can be used inside the distributor?

Lot's of question, but ain't that what believing is all about?

Greetings, Gerrelt.

'73 1303 s

Reply to
beetle boy

Not all SVDA's have the centrifugal advance. The one=20 the 1303S -73 originally has has propably has centrifugal also, but the older ones do not all have.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

but wouldnt those be called SVSA?

if it doesnt have centrifugal advance, its not dual advance(svDA). right?

-james

Not all SVDA's have the centrifugal advance. The one the 1303S -73 originally has has propably has centrifugal also, but the older ones do not all have.

Reply to
jabobia

I suggest strongly , that you go ahead and invest in the proper "pointless ignition" parts to match the distributor you have Just in case you were planning on just swapping your working ones out from the 009,.............probably will not work/fit

.Just check into carefully before the day you go to swap out dizzies.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Hi Muadib,

Well I got the "ELECTRONIC IGNITION KIT" from this shop:

(scroll down to the "ELECTRONIC IGNITION KIT")

And here it says it will only not fit on the 050, and in the german description of this article it states that it will fit the SVDA and the 009. I begin to doubt if this is a Petronix or Compufire , it might be another (probably German) brand.

Yesterday I tried to dissamble one of the two SVDA's I got. But I couldn't get the pin at the bottom out, so I only dissasembled the top part of the distributor. The plate the vacuum canister attaches to was a little rusty, so I oiled it. I Also oiled the weights for the centrifugal advance. Is there anything else I can do?

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy

As faras further dis/re-assembly, I'd surely go ahead and make sure th main bushing was in tolerance, while I was working on it..............You can get a hell of a nice little oil leak if it's not close enough....................that pin should come out without too much problem if you have the right stuff, But I'd be very carefull not to impose terribly high stress on the main shaft if it can be avoided..............Bent shaft = useless dizzy.

The web page shown doesn't specify the piece you are describing as "to fit all others" but if the instructions you have say it will work, It should. The big problems with Pertronix swap outs is the mounting and clearance inside the dizzy..............I've done the 009 version and haad awesome results also.

( the one shown looks almost exactly like my pertronix piece too mounting pieces and all )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Well that's why I decided to leave it alone. I hammered on the pin using a punch, but it wouldn't move. The distributor moved in the vice while beating, but I was afraid to tighten the vice even more, I don't think the distributor housing can have much pressure. I didn't feel any sideways movement so I'm gonna try this one without dissasembling the bottom end.

Yesterday I fitted the pointless ignition and it did fit. Allthough it was quite a tight fit, it just cleares the distributor housing.

I can't wait to install it in my beetle, I'm very curious for the results!

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy