Crankcase Reassembly

I am getting ready to reassemble the crankcase on my 68 bug. I have noticed that when it was last rebuilt there were a few mistakes made that lead to quick oil leaks. Namely, there was a seal missing in the rear of the oil pump, and some really cheap gaskets used everywhere else.

I want to make sure I seal this baby up super tight. Without having a gasket to speak of when "mating" the two halves, how have you all sealed them up? I have seen folks recommend using the high heat, high strength, locktite which I now have in my posession. But I worry that I may need to split this thing apart at some point. Like ... on the next rebuild.

In Muir's book he simply refers to the sealer as "case glue" or "goo". But I wonder what he was using back then, or what we have now.

Your comments appreciated. ;-)

Thanks,

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > I want to make sure I seal this baby up super tight. Without having a

good'um stuff:

Joey Tribiani

Reply to
John Crichton

Forget the 3H-gorillasnot-cinch. Step into the 21st century and use the modern sealant - 518 gasket eliminator. It's cheap, readily available, works 100% of the time and unlike all the other favorites, there no mess. You can wipe up the extra that oozes out with a paper towel. When you mount the oil pump to the case, also use

518 instead of a gasket (you still need the thin gasket between the pump and cover tho...). Say goodbye to the leaks. Use a thin 3/32" bead of Ultra grey RTV where the cylinders mount to the case.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe