Blown Crankcase Question

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1972 Type 3 Fastback. The previous owner swapped out the Type 3 engine for a larger Type 4. According to the owner it has run for years this way, but he had lost track of the oil level and then blew the crankcase.

What I would like to get a handle on is, how much can I expect to pay to repair this blown crankcase? (New crankcase?) I van purchase the car for a song, but I would like to know what I am about to jump into.

Reply to
ivanogburn

You won't know till you tear it dowwn. Might need line-bore of the case (if it's salvageable) plus crank grind and new bearings.

Type 4 parts are expensive.

Might swap a Type 1 engine into it instead.

If the car is rust-free, buy it no matter what!

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Like Jim said, you have to take the engine apart in order to examine the damage. If you are lucky it may only need the crank reground and maybe some new pistons and cylinders. If that body and front axle is clean and tight along with the right price................BUY IT!!!

If you are close to Chicago, I might have some options from you. I should have some NEW slightly oversize T4 pistons and cylinders for the

1.7 engine from a major JCWhitney buy many years ago when they were still in Chicago. I have a rebuilt Type 4 engine (1972?) sitting in the garage. Been sitting there for years. Also a Corvair 6 cyl engine that you might be able to sneak in there and do wheelies! lol

Not sure if I will put the T4 engine in my '70 Beetle in a few years from now or not. Of course $$$ is always a motivater! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

WTF! They moved?? Good grief. They were an icon on the skyline. How come I wasn't notified?

I used to buy by the crateload from them (And, for the doubters, most of their stock was the identical item you would get from Supplier "B".)

I guess times do change. Now where did I lay my buggy whip??

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

On the other hand if the existing t4 engine was converted to t3 you can pick up a used t4 long block and swap it in. Those can be had under 1k for sure. If you do go with that option, make sure the engine is out of 914 not a bus. unless you are going to rebuild the blown one then...

Reply to
anton

Yeah JCWhitney moved many years ago, where you been Jim? ;-) They are still in Illinois though and I think the city/town is LaSalle IL. Takes me about 1.5 hours to get to them instead of 15 minutes. ;-)

The managers used to wait till I came inside the store and then would take me to the back to sell me the odd stuff and returns. Amazingly good prices for me back then. lol Sometimes the parts were the same as dealer stuff, but I had to inspect all parts since quality was subject to change instantly. lol