Dirty Knuckles

I have finally took a step into my bug engine. After the motor sitting in my shop, since last summer, collecting saw dust. I decided last night to go start the process of tearing into it to check the compression ration and fix a couple things that need attention. With temps in the

40's, it was not too bad a night to work.

I started a list of things needed as I pulled stuff off. Not too long of a list yet as I only got down to the heads last night from a complete engine with tins and exhaust. Yep, I was in no hurry and took my time. I got the shroud off and found a couple tenants that needed evicting. Rats are wonderous creatures that can access areas that my thick fingers can not even attempt to reach.

Sitting on top of each bank of cylinders were wads and wads of various materials gathered from God only knows where, mixed with a rather rich amount of wood shavings. After careful proding, I determined that there were no live occupants in either nest. Now enters the shop vac, I started the noise maker from Hell and began the extraction. Most of the nest came out with no effort. Just as I was finishing the last part of the first nest, something caught my eye. It was gray and furry and then it was gone into the vac hose as fast as I saw it. Not knowing if it was live or dead was soon determined by the stench that filled the exhaust air from the shop vac. Dead!! And man, for such a small animal, they really pack a stench. Pewwww!!! I had to shut the vac off and take that little fuz ball out side and dump the contents, quick.

With the stink bomb removed, I finished the eviction with no futher surprises. I am glad I use rat poison in the shop as I would have soiled myself if that little guy had come bailing out at me. I also have to keep the rat population down as they bring other vistors during the summer time. SNAKES!!! I had to remove a small one last summer that I almost put my hand on. It was only a rat snake, but still leaves marks on good undies nuntheless. I also found a skin of a snake that was well over 6 feet long and couple inches in diameter. I decided right then that my rat poison had been eaten up and needed to be refreshed. I really really really hate snakes!!!!

Back to the engine, I got the engine down to bare. I opened the valve covers and removed the rockers and push rods. Found one push rod that has been rubbing on something, not bad, but enough to leave a polished ring all the way around it. I labeled each push rod as to where it came out so I can put them back in where they were. This is where I stopped, went in the house and broke out the Bug Me Video #3 for engine rebuilding and watched that for an hour or so for inspiration. Truly a great video to have, lots of good info.

My plans for now will not take me inside the block, unless I find something that requires going deeper. I plan on pulling the heads, cylinders and looking things over on the inside via the jug holes. The engine ran fine other than showing to be running above normal heat on the cylinder head temp gauge. I checked it on both sides and found both reading to be high as to RAMVA recommendations. I never installed spacers on the jugs nor did I CC the heads(Stupid rookie).

It is nice to be buggin again and I am ready to have my bug running again, I have truly missed the rides with my kids.

Sorry for the novel!!!

Reply to
TerryB

ROFLMAO !!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Eric

LOL! Look what they did to my '63:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

wow jim those mice really chewed up the metal good on those heater channels... : P

Reply to
dragenwagen

That's nothing compared to the rust all the mice urine would make.

Reply to
Michael Cecil