Distributor info

Hi RAMVA! Right now I'm using a brazilian stock VW/Bosch distributor in my '73 SB. It it a vacuum advance dizzy similar to other stock units. I'd like to replace it with a new one because it's begining to get unreliable. Where can i get info about the different dizzy types? applications? Why is the 009 so popular? If I go for a centrifugal/mechanical advance unit, how should I block off the vacuum source? Will my carb perform correctly without a vacuum hose?

Is it really worth it to use a MSD or Pertronix ignition? It sounds really atractive not having to change points again. What about the MSD / Pertronix Dizzys?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I don't really know, I think a vacume advance might be better. Because you get advance when you first open the throttle, not after the engine gets up to speed.

You have to block off the vacume port, other wise you have a vacume leak. You should be able to find plugs at your FLAPS.

I just installed a compufire, and really like it. But I had to change to a 009, because the compufire did not fit my 037 dist. I bought new points the other day, and they were $17 at my FLAPS, Ouch.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I was told I would need an 009 to run my Compufire, that it wouldn't fit in my DVDA.

http://63.230.74.177/baja/MVC-095F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/baja/MVC-096F.JPG So there. ;-)

Reply to
Max Welton

Waaah nobody tol me... Luckily I had the 009 in the garage. I would still like to get an electronic solution into my 037. It has much better acceleration from slow speed, than the 009.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

What you have is more or less the same as a SVDA. Brazilian stock disttributor have a centrifugal/mechanical advance and some extra advance from vacuum. Switching to a 009 will just get rid of the vacumm part.

The 009 is so popular because most of the 'cool' books from the seventies say so... Problem is, newer 009s are very low quality and don't even get you the amount of advance they should. Mileage and driveability also suck with the stock 34 carb.

If you want to change the dist, get a SVDA from aircooled.net. Should work with you carb until you can change it to a 34 or a H30/31 (also buy them from aircooled.net)

I recommend a web searh and a google news search for more threads. Most of what I wrote here I've learned reading this group for two years...

Using a MSD of other CDI unit is a huge improvement. a Pertronix/compufire is only a points replacement and will only get you lower maintenance intervals, not a better spark.

Are you handy with a soldering iron? There are some plans for electronic modules on the net...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Nope, I'm notr trying to start a flame war. And about the points, fortunately, I live in the dominican Rep. so points are dirt cheap here. Thanks for your halp with the vacuum.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Thanks Eduardo. So I should really go to a SVDA? The carb I'm going to use next is dual IDF webers. I'm planning to make a bigger engine. Still I should use the SVDA?

Pertronix is offering now a CDI. I was asking about that one...I think is called second strike.

I'm really handy with the iron. Not that good with the welder. :( too bad I can't repair my frame head with a soldering iron.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

--snip---

Eduardo,

Do you know of any site I can get a plan?

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

No, If your going to go with dual carbs soon, you need to keep the 009.   Jim "Karls Vladimir Peña" wrote: Thanks Eduardo. So I should really go to a SVDA? The carb I'm going to use next is dual IDF webers. I'm planning to make a bigger engine. Still I should use the SVDA? Pertronix is offering now a CDI. I was asking about that one...I think is called second strike. I'm really handy with the iron. Not that good with the welder. :( too bad I can't repair my frame head with a soldering iron.

Reply to
bugfern

THe one I was talking about is this:

google gives a lot more if you search...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

If this works I think we can make it better. I'll let you know.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I found a lot more circuits googling... this one got me for the explanations.

I want to buy this one:

butshipping to Chile would kill me... and this one is simpler:

Eduardo Kaftanski

Shipping to chile can't be that expensive. and That thing with a lot of packaging can't weight more than a pound. And why don't you build it? you already have the plans an specs. You can use a simple Electronic workbech program to print the pc board, then just acid it to make the conections, and solder the parts. If you want a good looking thing, then you can build a small box , put it in and fill it with epoxy. Then you'll labe it "Kaftanski Ignition Module". Cool, huh?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Just like rebuilding an engine... sound terrible until you try it. And then is worse :)

Yes, I will make one someday. I have to finish up this f. engine this year first..

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

... or modify one or both carbs to provide a suitable vacume signal. This can be done rather easily with Kadrons at least.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I prefer going the centrifugal way.