Vac advance 009?

Cleaning my shop today I found an old distributor which has been on the back of a shelf for 10+ years that I took off an old engine. Anyway before I put it into the junk file, I checked the number which is 0 231

137 009. It is a vacuum advance 009. I did not know VW ever had a 009 mech/vac advance. Can anyone shed some light on this. It has the standard VW logo to the left of the numbers and Bosch made in Germany on the bottom. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

0231 137 009 113 905 205K 0231 137 010 113 905 205L Beetle 66-67

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It must have been off the 66' I gave to my son a few years ago. Anyway, I always thought that a 009 Bosch was a centrifugal advance distributor only and I was surprised to see one with a vacuum hook up. How did this number designation end up on the two different designs?

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

It's just a quirk of the part numbering system.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The 009 is just the last 3 digits. Distributors with different kinds/combinations of advances are in different "families" which get different numbers in front of the 009.

-

Jim Adney