Electronic ignition - am I imagining the benefits?

I have just installed an Ignitor into the centrifugal advance 009 dizi on my type 2 mainly because it was a pain setting the points - laziness really.

I am aware that I may have a tendency to imagine the benefits of any work I have done on the engine and want to know if anyone else has found the same benefits?

On a long motorway journey at the weekend the engine ran a lot cooler than usual and seemed to be a lot smoother when pulling away from junctions etc. Is this possible? If so I'll consider putting one on my KG as well.

The KG has a dual vacuum dizi, is it worth changing this for a centrifugal advance 009 dizi before buying the ignitor (there are different types for vac or none vac).

Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Reply to
will

will escreveu:

Yes there are benefits. It's the same as having new points all the time. Keep the dual vacuum dizi on the KG. If it's working don't try to fix it. If you replace the dizi you will have flat spots for sure.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

After ditching the 009 with 2 of my VWs, I'd say revert to the stock distributor in your type 2 or an aircooled.net SVDA for dual port engines.

Electronic ignition unless you are also running a CDI is only keeping you from changing points and dealing with the degradation of points wearing out. That's worth it in my book.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Yes, electronic ignition is that good. I've used them for years in my

74 sb, 68 westy and my puma (all 1600cc with 009 dist) and had no problems except adjustments > I have just installed an Ignitor into the centrifugal advance 009 dizi
Reply to
Dennis

Its a better solution to the alternative, pitted worn or dirty points. fit and forget.

Reply to
angus.w