Door Help

Ok, I guess I'm just blind or completely mechanically challenged but I can't get my stupid door release figured out.

I have the inside door release handle (connects to the outer door metal with two bolts) which is connected to a long metal rod (large hook into the handle, smaller hook on the other end) which I am assuming attaches to the inside lock somehow. Where I have no idea.

Also, one of my door rods has a metal clip and one doesn't. How important is the clip ? What does it do ? What's it called so I can even find another one ?

Thanks for any help, Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.

Go to:

Grp 8

77 - Door Lock Operating Lever

Part #18 is the spring clip.

One end slides onto the pull rod. Then the hook on the rod goes into the lever on the lock mech. Finally, the other end of the clip goes over the end of the hook to keep it from falling out of the lock lever.

You can experiment to find the lever on the lock mech which releases the lock.

I couldn't find a good photo of the way the clip goes on; experiment.

Where get one? Junk yard. Or, improvise something out of a tuna can:-)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Is this why only men are allowed to use the channel changer?

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

Yes, exactly.......after us women-folk find it, change the battery, turn the tv on and bring you big strong men a cold drink..........

Oh pleeeeezzzzzeeee,

Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.

Stop! You're gettin' me all worked up. hahaha!

Reply to
Shag

Hey sounds good to me!

:)

Jan

Susan S. wrote:

Reply to
Jan

Well, I managed to get the inside door locks on today.

Last night was our Rare Air VW meeting and several people came to my rescue.

Our club president, Wild Bill, brought in a full locking mechanism including the rod so I could see exactly what I was looking for inside the door. Showed me what the retaining clip was for, and was nice enough to donate the clip I needed. Another member took me out to his car and showed me the door without the door panel on so I knew exactly the set up.

It was a huge help and I could not have done it without them.

Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.