Dual vacuum dizzy question

I have a 71 standard type1. 1600 dual port. 34PICT3 carb. I read somewhere that if the ERG valve is disconnected, you should disconnect the retard side of the dizzy (on a dual vacuum) leave it open on the biscuit and plug the inlet where it connects to the carb. Something about damaging the valves. Is this true? Will it damage anything if left connected. It seems to work fine. When I bought the car the ERG tube that goes from the bottom near the left of the pully is not there. I looked in the Muir book and I don't know if the 71 even had an ERG valve. Should I disconnect the the retard side and set the timing to 7 BTDC or leave it connected and set to 5 deg ATDC.

Thanks for all the past and future assistance, John

Reply to
Jakalope

'71 did not have EGR. Leave everything as is and timing at 5 deg ATDC.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim