a few questions to clarify (about a 74)

ok, this is some questions to clarify on a 74 beetle (autostick, non super) ... my parents are working on getting the one they just got up and running ... these questions are just to make sure on some stuff .. the only other 74 i have delt with was a super that i had back in high school and i don't recall a whole lot about it other then i didnt like the struts ...

fuses ... my mother is saying it has the glass fuses in the fuse box .. not the ceramic type ones from the earlier bugs .. is this normal? ... i think i recall my super havin em as well ..

and oil filter ... is it still the screen that is pulled out the bottom of the motor or is it something different .. the auto parts person tried handing my step-father what looked like a normal oil filter off of a small chevy motor and he wouldn't get it because he doesn't remember seeing where it went under the car ... (i don't remember either) .. the S/N off the engine block (not sure if this is the orig motor) is 124705

Reply to
Flea

For Christmas, get them a manual....almost any will do.

There are aftermarket glass fuses, but they came with ceramic. Still just the screen underneath (2 gaskets req'd) and no filter (at least on Beetle engines of this era).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Flea

Flea kirjoitti:

My Euro spec 74 swing axle has the ceramic type fuses, absolutely no glass fuses.

That's it. Unless someone put in an aftermarket filter system. Very common, many ways to do it, and very useful.

Is clueless. No surprise there.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

i told em where to look under the car in case it does have an aftermarket oil filter setup on it .. but i doubt this is something that the 'parts clerk' would even know was on the car .. since we all know they dont even go out to look at the car .. just hit a few buttons on a computer and it tells them what they need *cough, cough* ...

when i go back up in a few weeks to bring my bug down to louisiana going to have another look at the car esp the fuses to see exactly what it has in there ... i forgot there are some glass fuses that would fit in there ... will prob buy them up a few boxes of the ceramic ones in town and take with me ... i think one is already out or a disconnected wire or bad headlight switch .. all the lights come on except the headlights ...

Reply to
Flea

Let me know when you come down maybe you can coem look at some of my Bugs.

I played around today with my newest bug a 1968 Autostick. It appears to have problems gett into gear. I need to do some more reading of my Bently book. Found a brand new carpet set (For the rear and firewall) in the front trunk. :-)

Reply to
Noice87

Reply to
Flea