HELP !!ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

I HAVE RECENTLY BUILT A MEYERS MANX BUGGY USING A 69 BEETLE CHASSIS ,AND NEW WIRING E.T.C IT HAS BEEN GOING GREAT UNTIL TODAY..I WAS DRIVING ALONG THE MOTORWAY (I AM ENGLISH)GOT SOME SPEED UP TO AROUND 70 M.P.H AND THE AMMETER STARTED SMOKING.... THE WIRES FROM THE EXTERNAL REGULATOR HAVE MELTED...I AM RUNNING 12 VOLTS..DYNAMO..IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE SPEED I WAS DOING PUMPED TOO MUCH JUICE INTO THE REGULATOR ??? THE BATTERY HAS DRAINED, BUT WITH A JUMP START IT GOES FINE ..LIGHTS E.T.C WORK...BOY I AM CONFUSED...ANY HELP WOULD BE GOOD ..THANKS MIKE

Reply to
MEYERSMIKE

MIKE: Your CAPSLOCK Key is STUCK On. Plz turn it off. Thank you.

No, running at 70 MPH should not have caused the problem. The regulator may have gotten stuck (points sticking).

To be certain we are talking the same language: Dynamo = D.C. Generator Your regulator should look like this:

Look on my web site for: "How do I test my Generator?" Do those tests to determine first whether the Dynamo has been harmed.

Incidentally, there is a UK newsgroup: uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

You may find useful info here as well:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR INFO SPEEDY JIM VERY HELPFUL....THAT WILL KEEP ME BUSY TOMORROW

Reply to
MEYERSMIKE

Busy turning the Caps Lock off?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I'M SURE HE'S GLAD HE COULD HELP! :-P

Reply to
Shaggie

# # # # # ####### ##### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ####### # # # ### # # # # # ####### # # # # # # # # # # ## ## # # # # # #

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Speak up please, I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Jan :P

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Olli Lammi

Shaggie

Watch out for my next move: crop circles...

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Hey Bud! If you want to know what is good for you, you will turn off that Caps Lock.

That is poor newsgroup ettiquette and is unconsiderate of others.

Besides, it will get you on the hecklers sh*t list in a hurry. So, turn it off Jack, or uhh I mean MeyrsMike!

Thanks!

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Take off that bloody ammeter and install a voltmeter. Those inexpensive shunt ammeters put a load on your electrical system.