GusDaDog

- 5 1/2 drums? I haven't seen any apators to that, and kinda wanna avoid adaptors altogether..... ******** Check around with your local machine shops. I've had hubs drilled for different bolt patterns before - it's not that hard. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

#1... how do you find a "local machine shop"?

#2...is 5 on 5 1/2 to large to do? does that get out of the non-machined face of the drum?

Reply to
GusDaDog

#1... how do you find a "local machine shop"?

#2...is 5 on 5 1/2 to large to do? does that get out of the non-machined face of the drum?

********* #1 - yellow pages. #2 - Depends on the drum. You also have to check the back of the drum for reinforcements, but all in all just looking at & measuring can determine if it's do-able. BTW 5 1/2 is the *diameter* of the *center* of the lug nuts... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

SoCal Imports, on Paramount Blvd. in Long Beach, CA, sells blank drums, that if you use the 4 lug, flat face (non-ribbed) style blank drum, can be drilled and studded to the early Ford, 5 on 5-1/2 inch pattern. I know, they did a set for me, to adapt 1936 Ford wire wheels to a swingaxle trans. They ain't the cheapest, but it beats running adapters....

Reply to
Kaferdave

sweetness... SoCal has a web site right? I live in Chicagoland....

Reply to
GusDaDog

ahhh.. I saw the blank drums listed on the web site for $30 each, not bad at all. Should be perfect.....

Reply to
GusDaDog

Owch!

locally, everyone wants around $300 to put the lug pattern onto blank drums for me, and So Cal wants $228.....

Can I do that myself safely?

Reply to
GusDaDog

are you a machinist with a machine shop? If not(please excuse me) not a snowball's chance in hell.....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I have a couple hundred hours experience on each a metal lathe and vertical milling machines....including using the mill to drill and tap..... I think I have the maching skills, but zero procedural knowledge.....

Reply to
GusDaDog

then maybe you have a bit more chance of sucess than that previously mentioned snowball........just remember if you want the wheel to roll right and not wabble you need to be perfectly centered when you start...the lug pattern needs to be centered on that....then drill and tap away.......that is the best my limited machinework experience can provide..(i worked in a machine shop for awhile..but was not a machinist...was a fabricator...heh)

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

******** If you have access to the equiptment you should be able to chuck the drums up in a lathe, mark the 5.5 inch circle, & drill the 5 holes every 72 degrees. I would just drill & press in lug studs, instead of using lug bolts & having to tap the holes. Obviously you know how exact they have to be... HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I have a 1 ton Dake Press I could use to press studs, but yeah, I'd be so affraid of them coming out! Is there room to weld the studs to the drum from the inside without the bead interfering?

Reply to
GusDaDog

affraid of them coming out! Is there room to weld the studs to the drum from the inside without the bead interfering?

******* Dosen't take a press for the studs (but you can use it). The studs have a flange on the back so you don't have to worry about them coming out. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver