Wide 5's on 71 beetle

I'd like to mount a set of Empi 5 repro's on my 1971 beetle (4 bolt). Could I just have my existing drums machined to take the new rims, or are there other issues? I don't like the idea of buying adapter rings, and all the extra bolts that go along with them.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
MK

Buy blank drums and have them drilled to accept the 5X205 bolt pattern that the "wide five" uses. If you have discs up front right now, this won't work, as the mounting hub on the 4 lug disc is much to small to accept a bolt pattern that wide. However, if you stick to drums all around, shouldn't be a problem if you drill new ones. Or purchase new disc brakes meant to accept wide fives.

Reply to
Anthony

The 4 lug drums are too small diameter to safely machine for the wide

5 pattern. Best thing to do is use 66-67 drums up front, and the early drums in the rear. There is a spacer you will need to used on the rear axle between the drum and the backing plate. you may need to machine the nipple down, where the axle nut goes to the drum. I could be wrong, but I know enough to be dangerous. Sombody name the spacer thing I'm talking about.
Reply to
Zarana-X

Allthough it can be done this way , I tried it and I DON'T reccommend it! The brakeing surface is reduced and i just felt there was too much added to make it "safe". I would use the adaptors and I HATE adaptors (at least the 4 to wide 5 are the most solid out of all the adaptors avail) or some other way. What I did, but width might become an issue for you, is use 181 'Thing" drums. They are a direct fit with no work to be done. But they are quite a bit wider than the stock 4 lugs so you may have an issue with tire clearence. Either that or I would call a place like SoCal Imports and have a blank set drilled. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro